Baltimore Center Stage seeks candidates for the position of Box Office Manager (BOM). This position oversees the day-to-day function of the Box Office and is responsible for all patron contact from the point-of-sale through attendance, and supports the Marketing Department in all sales promotions, ticketing system and Tessitura-related efforts, and offers quality customer service to its patrons as well as outstanding support to its internal employees and customers. The BOM is a direct report to the Director of Marketing and Communications (DoM) and works in close cooperation with the Director of Advancement (DoA), the Director of Finance (DoF) and other key staff members to implement the institution’s programs in support of its mission and values. This position supervises all Box Office staff, full and part time. A detailed list of responsibilities is below.
Baltimore Center Stage
Baltimore Center Stage (BCS) is one of America's premier regional theaters. It is an artistically driven institution committed to engaging, educating, and expanding the horizons of diverse audiences through challenging, bold, thought-provoking classical and contemporary theater. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Kwame Kwei-Armah and Managing Director Michael Ross, BCS produces six mainstage shows and a mix of other artistic programs on three stages. We are committed to being an inclusive workplace, and strongly believe in the importance of having a diverse group of individuals represented both onstage and off. Baltimore Center Stage is the State Theater of Maryland.
- Manage a professional Box Office (BO) that reflects the high artistic and customer service standards
- Manage and supervise a BO staff of Patron Services Associates
- Work with DoM on BO training to provide exceptional customer service, as well as technical computer skills
- Work with the House Manager during will-call and performances to maintain the lobby
- Oversee BO duties including:
- Print all will-call tickets and mailing of tickets throughout the season
- Resolve any customer disputes and complaints
- Manage house seats, discount, and comp ticketing
- Database and subscription management (details below)
- Manage Opening Night seating and work closely with department heads on seating for special events
- Create schedule and work assignments for ticketing personnel
- Participate in the hiring, onboarding, and training of new ticketing personnel
- Open and/or close Box Office, including daily income reconciliation
- First point of contact for problem resolution, escalated patron inquiries, and lost and found
- Work with DoM on season roll-over, mailing renewal invoices, processing subscription orders, including receiving orders, processing payments, acknowledging orders, seating, mailing tickets, and implementing methods to manage subscribers
- Oversee subscriber ticket exchange process
- Facilitate subscription package mailings
- Process all returned ticket donations
- Work with outside organizations and contacts to set up ticket information
- Handle reporting and ticket requests including the ticket build for specific events in Tessitura for rentals when appropriate
- Communicate with rental clients regarding Box Office matters
- Work with Development and Company Management to arrange tickets for artists and VIP guests
- With the Development staff, maintain corporate ticket requests and reporting
- Work to efficiently schedule and inform all BO staff concerning all events, promotions, and sales initiatives
- Provide scheduled and ad-hoc reports to administrative departments, as requested
- Oversee data collection efforts for all ticket buyers: subscribers, single ticket buyers, group sales for all events produced or presented
- Maintain a general mailing list of prospective ticket buyers captured from general inquiries and other sources
- Maintain “Do Not Mail” database
- Maintain ticketing information in Tessitura such as performance details, website content, hold maps, and facility information
- Work with DoM on Tessitura event builds (including season, special events, family performances, etc.), online code creation, dynamic pricing, price maps, package creation, etc.
- Manage the BO (ticketing) system (Tessitura) and other BO computer systems
- Ensure that BO computer equipment is maintained
- Work with DoF to create GL codes, payment types, and online sales codes as necessary
- With the DoF, develop secure systems for handling and reporting on cash, checks, and credit card charges, which satisfy requirements of BCS’s independent auditor and facilitate regular reporting to other departments and the Board
- Oversee BO staff to ensure the proper handing and reporting of transactions
- Make daily deposits for Box Office and concessions cash and checks
As BCS is undergoing a period of growth and transition, it is understood that the BOM position will change to suit the needs of the organization. Duties will be assigned or removed as needed. This position requires flexibility in scheduling. The BOM will be required at most performances including nights, weekends, and some holidays, in addition to regular business hours.
Candidate requirements include: Supervisory experience; commitment to stellar customer service and attention to detail; computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook; ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings or weekends as required.
Preferred: Experience working for a nonprofit performing arts organization; familiarity with marketing concepts; hands-on experience building a subscription series and with Tessitura or comparable computerized ticketing software.
Start Date: Immediate