The mission of Port Discovery Children’s Museum, one of the nation’s top 5 children’s museums, is to connect purposeful play and learning within our walls and beyond. Our goal is to make a positive impact on the lives of children and their families by providing innovative public exhibits and activities, offering programs that respond to community needs and serving as an alternative educational resource for schools, teachers, and families. Port Discovery is a safe, invigorating, and nurturing place where children and families learn together through play.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum is looking for a talented and resourceful individual to be our full-time Guest Services Manager. The Guest Services Manager leads the day-to-day Guest Services operation of the Museum including scheduling, school and camp group visits, exhibit preparation, exhibit maintenance, and safety of the museum. This includes the supervision and daily mentoring of the Guest Services Supervisor, Assistant Guest Services Supervisors, up to 40 part-time and seasonal Program Associates, Housekeeping Associates, and volunteers.
The Manager works closely with the Director of Guest Services in recruitment of new staff and to ensure that staff is trained in all areas of the museum. Works in conjunction with the Director of Guest Services to ensure the overall quality of the guest and staff experience. Works with the Director of Guest Services to create an ideal environment for guests of all ages to learn, interact and enjoy a safe, fun, and clean Museum experience. Develops and maintains long term goals for entertaining and educating guests, providing great customer service and maintaining a professional work environment for all staff.
This is a full time 40-hour per week position. The work week is currently Tuesday through Saturday but is subject to change. Scheduled work hours will be adjusted according to department/ museum needs. Participation in special events, evenings, weekends, and holidays will be necessary.
- Create and maintain all scheduling for Program Associates, including approving leave requests.
- Work with the Marketing and Education departments to schedule and staff Port-to-Ports, Outreach, and other off-site events.
- Assists with bi-monthly Guest Services employee check-in’s.
- Mentor, provide guidance and follow disciplinary counseling as needed.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required (Master’s degree or higher preferred).
- Must have 2-4 years’ experience in a museum or customer service setting.
- Must have 1-3 years management and/or supervisory experience.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, as well as an ability to take initiative, are necessary.
- Experience with research and/or conducting evaluations is a plus.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum offers a generous benefits package which includes: health benefits, company provided life and disability, 401k retirement savings, vacation, sick and personal days. In addition you will have the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children.
If you are interested and feel you are qualified for this position, please apply via email to email@example.com. Resume, cover letter, and salary requirements (in MS Word or PDF format) are all required for consideration. Please note job title (“Guest Services Manager”) in the subject line of your email submission.
No phone calls please.
Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.