Port Discovery Children’s Museum, one of the top Children’s Museum in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, is seeking a Social Media & Community Engagement Specialist. In this highly visible position, you’ll create stories that engage and inspire audiences, share the joy and importance of learning through play, and build understanding of the work Port Discovery does in the community. The successful candidate will be a talented storyteller who has a passion for relationship building, and comes armed with strong creative ideas and a successful track record of creating engaging content.
Campaign & Content Development
- Create inspired written and visual content to share with audiences via traditional marketing collateral, social media channels.
- Develop and curate relevant topics and content to share with Port Discovery’s audience.
- Contribute to and manage editorial calendars for online channels including Port Discovery’s blog, social media and e-mail channels.
- Assist with developing and managing Port Discovery’s social media strategies, including campaign development, execution and reporting.
- Assist with developing and managing Port Discovery’s email marketing strategies, including campaign development, execution and reporting.
- Design, create and manage creative promotions and campaigns to drive engagement, attendance and awareness.
- Develop and maintain content that is accessible, inspired and entertaining and that consistently aligns with the brands’ voice.
- Create effective distribution strategies based both on platform-specific best practices and based upon established KPI for the Port Discovery marketing team.
- Be an advocate and ambassador for Port Discovery Children’s Museum and the audience they serve in the community and online, creating opportunities for engagement with the Museum while listening to community needs.
- Develop, manage and grow relationships and partnerships among organizations, corporations and other partners in the community. Serve as a liaison between Port Discovery and assigned partners.
- Act as a liaison with hospitality community and represent Museum at hospitality functions and meetings as needed. (Baltimore Tourism Association, Visit Baltimore, Downtown Partnership).
- Develop and manage Port Discovery’s attendance and engagement in community events. Represent Port Discovery at outreach events as needed.
- Monitor, listen and respond to audiences via online channels, curating data and insights.
- Actively contribute to pro-active and re-active marketing, outreach and media relations strategies and tactics
- Share information regarding Port Discovery via a variety of platforms, including online calendars, email outreach, mailings, etc.
- Assist with media relations efforts, interviews, and media opportunities as needed.
Data & Research
- Analyze web and social metrics, using data to inform and revise marketing and outreach strategies.
- Monitor trends and best practices in social media tools, applications, design and strategy, using lessons learned to improve Port Discovery’s marketing and outreach strategies.
- Research and assist with establishing relationships with key media outlets, bloggers and organizations that are important to Port Discovery’s audience.
- Research and report on trends in children’s programming, events, and institutions.
- Represent the Marketing department at the Museum’s internal “2-week” meeting and other internal meetings as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- BA/BS degree required, in marketing, communications, or related field.
- 2-4 years of relevant experience in social media, marketing, communications and/or content engagement.
- Displays in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Demonstrates creativity and documented immersion in social media. (Give links to profiles as examples).
- Experience developing and managing content
- Maintains excellent writing and language skills.
- Displays ability to effectively communicate information and ideas via written, verbal, and visual formats including photography, video and design for social platforms.
- Exceeds at building and maintaining relationships, online and off.
- Practices superior time management and organizational skills. Demonstrates ability to perform in a fast paced, high volume environment while maintaining attention to detail.
- Is a team player with the confidence to take the lead and guide other employees when necessary. (ie: content development, creation and editing of content, and online reputation management).
- Working knowledge of principles of SEO (including keyword research and Google Analytics) would be a plus.
- Ability to write and speak languages other than English a plus.
More about Port Discovery
The mission of Port Discovery Children’s Museum is to connect purposeful play and learning. Our goal is to make a positive impact on the lives of children and their families by providing innovative public exhibits and activities, offering programs that respond to community needs and serving as an alternative educational resource for schools, teachers, and families. Port Discovery is a safe, invigorating, and nurturing place where children and families learn together through play.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum offers a generous benefits package in addition to providing you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. If you are interested and feel you are qualified for this position, please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by clicking on the following link: http://bit.ly/PDSMCE
Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.