The Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for the strategy, planning and implementation of the Maryland Historical Society’s public relations and marketing campaigns, internal and external communications programs, and initiatives to increase public understanding of and support for the Society’s mission and goals. Primary to this is the development, implementation, and enforcement of a consistent and effective institutional message and image.
The ideal winning candidate will be energetic and innovative. He/she will be a highly productive copywriter and well-versed in communications tactics such as advertising, direct mail, social media, and print production. He/she will be expected to improve external and internal communications, and help MdHS become an audience/donor-centered organization.
- Create, manage and implement marketing, public relations and advertising strategies.
- Direct efforts to increase media coverage of MdHS exhibitions, programming and initiatives, cultivating relationships with local and regional media.
- Develop, manage, and maintain website content.
- Oversee web-redesign and development.
- Manage the institution’s aesthetic vision and graphic identity and oversee the production of all collateral materials, digital properties, advertising, promotional programs, and institutional signage.
- Manage, monitor and assess internal institutional messaging.
- Articulate key institutional issues and positions in a range of communication channels.
- Employ current marketing techniques, including print and electronic media advertising campaigns and web-based promotional and sales techniques to specifically target and attract a variety of diverse audiences including families and young adults.
- Manage on-the-ground logistics and provide advance staffing at PR events and executive presentations.
- Provide crisis communications counsel as needed.
- Oversee development and maintenance of writing standards including tone, voice, and style.
- Develop and maintain departmental budget.
- Create and assess metrics to gauge and evaluate the effectiveness and impact of media activities.
- Engage multiple social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and assess the usefulness of additional platforms.
Required Education, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree with 5 or more years of experience in marketing and public relations.
- Superb writing and editing skills and a strong sense of narrative and story-telling.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate in a clear and persuasive manner.
- A high level of professional integrity and the ability to handle sensitive issues and situations with discretion.
- Knowledge of museums and nonprofits is a plus.
- Proficiency with HTML and Content Management Systems.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop.
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and benefit package.
Maryland Historical Society
Director of Marketing & Communications
Job Submission Requirements:
To apply, please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.