Handel Choir is seeking a Managing Director who is committed to supporting local arts, enjoys working in a collaborative team environment, and is comfortable in a dynamic, multi-tasking environment. Passion, commitment and creativity are highly valued and can, in the right candidate, serve as alternatives for direct experience in some areas of responsibility.
Reports to: Handel Choir of Baltimore Board President.
Hours: Position is full time. Average hours are 40 hours per week, though some variability occurs during season start and weeks close to concerts (when hours may be higher) and offseason/summer (when hours may be lower). Some flexibility is required (including some weekend and evening hours).
Location: Primarily Handel Choir of Baltimore office (Baltimore, Maryland), in addition to concert venues in the Baltimore metropolitan area.
Benefits: Two weeks paid vacation, scheduled with the advance approval of the Artistic Director and Board President. Leave without pay to be scheduled subject to the approval of the Board President. Simple IRA retirement plan available.
Compensation is negotiable and commensurate with experience. This is a full time position.
Click here for a printable position description or see details below.
• Experience in arts and/or non-profit organization management preferred but not mandatory
• Familiarity with QuickBooks, and general knowledge of financial management
• Experience and skill in graphic arts, web page design, marketing, social media highly desirable
• Excellent communication and computer skills (including basic Word and Excel)
• Salary to be negotiated
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Managing Director supports the artistic and administrative functions of Handel Choir of Baltimore. Detailed responsibilities include:
• Draft and deliver all contracts in conjunction with artistic director; ensure receipt of signed contracts, tax forms and releases; ensure fulfillment of Handel Choir contractual obligations
• Serve as primary contact for all staff, contracted artists and other personnel regarding roster and biographical information for concert program, housing and transportation, payments and tax forms, updates to schedules, complimentary and discounted tickets, and other non-artistic concert business
• Manage concert production logistics in conjunction with artistic director, including hiring personnel; scheduling meetings; renting equipment/truck; supervising and troubleshooting concert setups and strikes; setting up venue on concert day
• Act as Handel Choir liaison with concert venue representatives
• Serve as primary point of contact for pre-concert lecturer and recording engineer
• Manage pre-concert and concert day box office operations
• Manage front-of-house operations, including volunteer ushers
Marketing, Press/PR and Publicity
• Plan and execute Handel Choir’s marketing, public relations and publicity, including electronic, print and broadcast advertising and promotions; brochures, flyers, postcards for bulk mailings and other hard copy promotional materials; email campaigns, website and social media; and press releases
• Cultivate relationships with press, PR and media/publicity contacts
• Respond to all inquiries from the public, patrons, artists and media
• Produce concert program book for each subscription concert and for other concerts
• Solicit and manage all program book advertising including trades
Choir/Other Artistic Support
• Support season planning and scheduling. Assist with venue research and visits and other support as needed.
• Reserve spaces for rehearsals and auditions as needed; manage schedule changes
• Manage audition process, scheduling and communications
• Print and distribute Choir Member Guide and other paperwork
• Input all collected info into Vendini (vendini.com, Handel Choir's web-based patron/donor database and ticketing and email marketing platform), and elsewhere as needed
• Correspond and coordinate with Choir manager and artistic director regarding Choir announcements, policies, and procedures
• Create and distribute order forms for Choir with deadlines for dues, music payments, fees, donations, program ad sales, ticket sales, and other activities; coordinate fulfillment and record-keeping with volunteers
• Report concert data to ASCAP and BMI each quarter and pay fees
• Execute monthly correspondence with pro choristers and artistic director regarding payment for all pro chorister services; ensure timely payment.
• Create and maintain accurate donor, patron and other contact records in Vendini
• Process donations (cash, check, credit card, in-kind, securities, etc.) in Vendini
• Work with volunteers to ensure proper acknowledgment and record-keeping for all gifts
• Generate accurate donor lists for acknowledgment in concert programs
• Draft annual appeal letters with artistic director and president, treasurer or development committee chair and schedule assembly and mailing work with staff and volunteers
• Generate mailing lists for annual appeal letter mailings, usually two per year
• Support grant applications and fulfilling grant requirements
• Support donor thank-you and fundraising events
• General office duties including mail, phones, maintain adequate office supplies, etc.
• Manage office volunteers
• Renew software subscriptions as needed for office, financial, computer security and other functions
• Troubleshoot and request repair & replacement as needed for office and concert equipment as needed using TechSoup.org and other discount vendors
• Serve as point of contact for all matters regarding Handel Choir insurance policies
• Serve as point of contact with office landlord and/or facilities manager
• Responsible for trash disposal, recycling and light cleaning
• Provide documentation, account number and account description to bookkeeper for all expenditures and receipts to be recorded in QuickBooks
• Review and approve all invoices that are not the responsibility of the artistic director (forward those as needed for review & approval); request, proof, sign and deliver checks
• Track payments due from Choir members; follow up regarding non-payment
• Prep and make bank deposits
• Generate reports for bookkeeper of each week’s Vendini credit card receipts and fees
• Request and review a weekly cash flow projection with bookkeeper; report to Board President and Treasurer as needed
• Request profit/loss report for full fiscal year two weeks before each board meeting. Check for errors and send to Treasurer and finance committee
• Develop annual budget in consultation with the artistic director and board of trustees
• Maintain list of depreciable assets and general inventory
• Serve as primary point of contact for accountant
Board of Trustees
• Attend Board Meetings and present regular reports to the Board and committees
• Schedule board and board committee meetings and conference calls
• Report on ticket sales and other matters as appropriate via email throughout the season