Job Title: Digital Education Assistant
Hours: 35 hours/week, with occasional weekend and evening programs
The Maryland Historical Society has an immediate opening for an enthusiastic full-time Digital Education Assistant. Over the past four years, MdHS has developed a thriving distance learning program. Our Virtual Field Trips are now utilized by students in 12 of 24 counties and 11 additional states beyond Maryland. We currently have developed several programs available for adult audience, which we aim to grow over the coming years. We are fully committed to expanding digital offerings in the immediate future, including interactive digital gallery tours, increased of integration of technology into exhibitions, and streaming of lectures.
The ideal candidate for this position is a dynamic, high-energy individual who has experience in museum education, has an engaging “on-air” personality, grasps the potential of technology in museums, dreams big and makes it happen!
This position reports to the Digital Education Manager and is part of a department of 6 staff.
- Deliver Virtual Field Trips in the green screen studio (distance learning programming)
- Work with Education staff to develop and revise digital programs for school and adult audiences
- Assist managing the studio and its equipment
- Contribute to overall operations of the Education Department, including developing new programs and digital initiatives
- B.A. in Museum Studies, Museum Education, Public History, Education, History, or related field
- Experience delivering engaging programming with children, especially those in grades K-8
- Excellent verbal communication skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Knowledge of and interest in U.S. history; knowledge of Maryland history, a plus
- Possess a passion for history, art, and education
- Familiarity with Apple and PC
- Strong technology skills, including knowledge of Prezi, videoconferencing software, and Adobe Suite, a plus
- Self-starter willing to learn new technology including social media, websites, graphic design, video editing, and more
- Experience researching in archives, experience working with lesson plans and standards, social media and marketing, all a plus
About the Position:
This is a FULL-TIME position. Full benefits package included. Evenings and weekends required (average of 3-4 per month).
The Maryland Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the American experience through the rich history of Maryland using the society’s collections and to preserve important objects and archival materials from prehistoric Maryland to the present day.
Founded in 1844, the Maryland Historical Society is the state’s oldest continuously operating cultural institution. In keeping with the founders’ commitment to preserve the remnants of Maryland’s past, MdHS remains the premier institution for state history. With over 350,000 art objects and artifacts and 7 million books and documents, the Society now serves more than 100,000 people through its museum, library, press and educational programs. Learn more at mdhs.org.
Please email a cover letter, resume with three professional references, and salary requirements to [email protected]. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.