Maryland Historical Society
Job Description – Visitor Services Associate
Position Title: Visitor Services Associate
Reports To: Visitor Services & Private Events Manager
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Hours worked/wk: 40
The Visitor Services Associate performs all functions of the Visitor Services Department in order to provide a high level of customer service to the Maryland Historical Society’s members, visitors, volunteers and staff. This position also has key responsibilities for security functions including opening and closing of the buildings; and monitoring the safety and security of MdHS facilities.
Visitor Services duties include performing the daily operation of the Information/Admissions Desk and providing excellent customer service:
- Greeting, orienting and registering all patrons to museum and library, collecting admission fees, providing orientation and museum guides when appropriate and maintaining stocks of literature for events and programs.
- Providing basic information for callers and visitors, regarding MdHS, the museum and library collections, including admissions, hours, directions, parking, accessibility and other local resources.
- Performing front line telephone receptionist functions: answering telephone calls promptly and accurately, transferring callers to the appropriate department or personnel
- Promoting visitor engagement by actively selling memberships and informing visitors of upcoming programs and events.
- Monitoring walk-ins to maintain awareness of who is present in the building on a daily basis.
- Assisting with Museum Shop functions as needed
- Handling all basic administrative tasks at the Visitor Services desk.
- Assisting with the collection of and logging demographic information used for tracking visitation numbers.
Security duties include performing daily opening and closing procedures and security monitoring functions:
- Maintaining assigned security codes and key sets necessary to open the parking lot and campus buildings for staff and public access prior to designated opening hours.
- Observing proper protocols for access to restricted areas, including monitoring contractors and other non-staff visitors to those areas.
- Performing routine patrols throughout the interior and exterior of the facility to ensure the safety of exhibits, personnel and visitors, to report any unusual conditions or problems, and to assure cleanliness of the facility.
- Following appropriate protocols for ensuring that all visitors and staff have left the building, conducting final closing sequences to secure the building and parking lots, and for arming security alarms before departing.
- Assisting in the set up and breakdown of programs and events.
- Assist with light housekeeping work throughout the building when needed.
- Other duties as assigned (may include assisting other museum departments with administrative work or working on special projects).
High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required, bachelor’s degree preferred. Prior customer service, retail, and/or security experience required. Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or other donor-based software preferred. Interest in art, history, or museums is a plus.
- Excellent customer service skills and communications skills
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Working knowledge of business office applications including email, word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Punctual and reliable
- Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and safety procedures.
- Ability to work cooperatively with all staff, Trustees, volunteers, and members.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work overtime as needed; position requires overtime hours on occasion.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Visitor Services Associates are required to work weekends and occasional evening events.
- Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of heavier-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for long periods of time.
To apply: please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]