As vital part of the Guest Services Department and Port Discovery team, Museum Experience Associates are responsible for providing guests with an excellent, memorable experience, stellar customer service, and supporting the Museum’s educational philosophy. As a member of our team, you’ll support playful learning and discovery through meaningful interaction with children and adults, ignite imaginations, and teach children through hands-on experiences.
This is a seasonal opportunity through January 1, 2019.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Provide excellent experiences in Museum exhibits and public spaces by engaging and interacting with guests.
- Engage children in play through use of props, costumes and exhibit components.
- Facilitate or assist with assigned programming, following Museum program procedures and expectations.
- Perform for special audiences such as youth school groups, camp groups, and birthday parties with interactive programs developed by the museum.
- Ensure exhibits are ready for guest use.
- Maintain a safe environment.
- Monitor exhibits and public spaces for safety concerns, including hazardous conditions and suspicious or unsafe guest behavior.
- Attend and participate in daily opening meetings, department meetings, trainings and other meetings as scheduled.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
The ideal candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma required.
- One year customer service experience required.
- One year working or volunteering with children in an educational, recreational or theatrical setting a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with adults and children.
- Early childhood experience and/or art or theatre background ideal.
- Skill in interpersonal communication.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and present information effectively to museum guests.
- Ability to work a flexible, variable schedule, including some holidays, evening and weekend days.
- Ability to speak clearly and effectively in crowded settings.
This is an entry-level position, with a starting rate of $10.35 per hour. The position offers up to 29 hours per week. We can offer a convenient schedule for college students and shifts typically correspond to Museum operating hours, so would wrap up by 5:00 or 5:30 pm.
Candidates must be 18 years of age, pass a background check before hire, and be available to work a flexible schedule including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. The Museum is conveniently located right next to a subway stop, or we offer free parking to employees.
If you are interested and believe you are qualified for this position, then please submit your resume, cover letter & salary requirements in order to apply.
No phone calls please.
About Port Discovery Children’s Museum
As the premier children’s museum in the mid-Atlantic, Port Discovery Children’s Museum educates children and inspires life-long curiosity. Our play-to-learn philosophy opens the door for children to discover and explore the world around them and to lead smarter, healthier, more engaged lives. The Museum, a 501(c)(3) non-profit institution, offers 3 floors of educational, interactive exhibits and programs and is ranked among the Top 10 Children’s Museums in the United States by Fodor’s Travel, Forbes and Parents Magazine. To learn more, visit www.portdiscovery.org.