Spring Museum Education Internship
Duration of Internship: January 23rd – May 31st
The Maryland Historical Society (MdHS) seeks an enthusiastic intern (undergraduate, graduate, or recent graduate) for the spring semester to assist the Education Department in expanding our reach with our diverse youth and adult audiences. MdHS is the oldest cultural institution in the state of Maryland and contains a museum and library with over seven million documents and five hundred thousand objects.
Education Intern Will:
· Create programs designed for school, homeschool, and family audiences.
· Research topics within MdHS’s special collections.
· Have the opportunity to learn about different museum departments.
· Have behind the scene access to our collections.
· Represent MdHS at outreach events.
· Receive training on museum methodology and MdHS collections and exhibitions.
· Pursuing a degree in History, Museum Studies, Education, Public History, or American Studies.
· Ability to lead indoor walking tours (including stairs) of up to 3 hours.
· Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
· Enthusiastic desire and ability to work with children, engage visitors with history, and interact with diverse museum audiences.
· Mature, outgoing, motivated, customer service focused and team oriented.
· Must be able to commit 10-12 hours per week:
Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
One weekend day per month for Youth and Family or community outreach programming program a month.
· Stipend of $1,000 for the semester
· Complimentary MdHS membership, including free library and museum admission
· Opportunities to strengthen resume and portfolio.
· Free parking.
· Please email your resume and cover letter to David Armenti, [email protected], Director of Education.
· Deadline: December 1st, 2018