Maryland Historical Society
Job Description – Lead Visitor Services Associate
Position Title: Lead Visitor Services Associate
Reports To: Visitor Services & Private Events Manager
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Hours worked/wk: 40
Salary: $14 per hour
The Lead Visitor Services Associate performs all functions of the Visitor Services Department in order to provide a high level of customer service to the Maryland Historical Society’s members, visitors, volunteers and staff. This position also has key responsibilities for security functions including opening and closing of the buildings and monitoring the safety and security of MdHS facilities. The Lead Visitor Services Associate also assists with the supervision of other Visitor Service Associates and assists with private event planning and organization.
- Greet, orient and register all patrons to museum and library, collect admission fees, provide orientation and museum guides
- Provide basic information for callers and visitors regarding MdHS museum and library collections including admissions, hours, directions, parking, accessibility and other local resources
- Perform front line telephone receptionist functions: answer phone calls promptly and accurately
- Promote visitor engagement by actively selling memberships and informing visitors of upcoming programs and events.
- Assist with Museum Shop functions as needed
- Security duties include performing daily opening and closing procedures and basic security monitoring functions.
Supervisory/Administrative duties include:
- Provide assistance to Visitor Services & Private Events Manager with assisting with private events scheduling, phone calls, staffing events and customer service.
- Daily co-supervision of the other full time and part time Visitor Service Associates with the Visitor Services & Private Events Manager.
- Ensure that the Visitor Services Desk is maintained professionally and all staff present at the desk are focused and on task.
High school diploma or equivalent required, bachelor’s degree preferred. Prior customer service, retail, and/or security experience required. Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or other donor-based software preferred. Interest in art, history, or museums is a plus.
- Excellent customer service skills and communications skills
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Working knowledge of business office applications including email, word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Punctual and reliable
- Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and safety procedures.
- Ability to work cooperatively with all staff, Trustees, volunteers, and members.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to work overtime as needed; position requires overtime hours on occasion.
- Visitor Services Associates are required to work weekends and occasional evening events.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of heavier-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for long periods of time.
- The Maryland Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the American experience through the rich history of Maryland using the society’s collections and to preserve important objects and archival materials from prehistoric Maryland to the present day.
To apply: please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]