Spring Communications and Social Media Internship
Duration of Internship: January 2019 – May 2019 (dates flexible)
The Communications and Social Media Intern will support the Maryland Historical Society’s social media outreach efforts, and other related communications tasks, within the Communications and Marketing Department. The intern will gain valuable experience working in a nonprofit setting and sustaining a social media audience to support the museum, library and education programs at MdHS— the oldest continuously operating cultural institution in Maryland.
The Communications and Social Media Intern will:
- Research, create and post content to MdHS’s social media platforms and execute strategies to increase MdHS’s effectiveness in the digital arena.
- Monitor social media accounts and key word feeds for post/response opportunities.
- Assist with tracking social media analytics.
- Help write content and compile images for MdHS’s monthly e-newsletter.
- Create and maintain online calendar listings of MdHS’s programs and events.
- Update the press list and maintain the press clip files.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree or working toward a degree in communications, digital media, marketing, journalism, public relations, English or a related field.
- Enthusiastic about social media and comfortable using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact checking.
- Prior communications, marketing and writing experience a plus.
- Professional demeanor, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes.
- Ability to ask for help and accept supervision and evaluation of work.
- A stipend of $1,500 for the semester.
- Complimentary MdHS membership, including free library and museum admission.
- Opportunities to strengthen resume and portfolio.
- Free parking.
Time Commitment: 10-15 hours a week
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, at least two writing samples, and references to Jennifer Michael, [email protected], Director of Communications and Marketing.
Deadline: Ongoing until filled