Young Audiences/Arts for Learning, founded in Baltimore in 1950, is the country’s foremost arts-in-education nonprofit organization. The Maryland chapter of Young Audiences (YA) provides more than 9,000 arts education opportunities to nearly 200,000 students, artists, and educators throughout the state each year. YA is a mission-driven organization that values community, innovation, and passion. The staff, board, and teaching artists have a shared commitment to advance equity in the field of education by working tirelessly to generate opportunities for students to imagine, create, and realize their full potential through the arts.
In partnership with the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation, the Baltimore Elementary and Middle School Library Project, and Baltimore City Public Schools, Young Audiences/Arts for Learning will operate eleven SummerREADS program sites across Baltimore City. SummerREADS is a five-week summer program that provides students the opportunity to participate in literacy-based and arts-integrated programming in state-of-the-art school libraries, renovated as part of the Library Project. This arts-focused literacy initiative leverages Weinberg Libraries and turns them into community hubs that encourage creativity and address summer learning loss in children. SummerREADS primarily serves students in grades K-5.
Young Audiences is seeking enthusiastic applicants with interest and experience in youth literacy-based programs and arts education to support the SummerREADS program.
The SummerREADS intern will have the opportunity to support multiple aspects of the program, including operations, program coordination, and direct services with children onsite. The intern will assist librarians and teachers with set-up and breakdown, assist students in literacy-based workshops with teaching artists, assist with attendance and record keeping, and support creating a positive culture and developing positive relationships with staff, students, and families at the sites.
This intern will also gain knowledge in nonprofit administration and daily procedures within a summer learning setting, including documenting the program and gathering content for social media and marketing. The intern will support and collaborate with all site-based staff, including teachers, teaching artists, librarians, and partnering organizations.
- Assist with the collection and recording of student attendance
- Support collection of data and surveys to determine the success of the program
- Observe programs at SummerREADS sites and document findings
- Assist with the organization and distribution of program supplies
- Identify site-specific needs and report back to the Assistant Program Director
- Support the creation of a positive culture by developing positive relationships with students at program sites
- Assist site staff with student management as needed
Marketing & Promotion
- Support marketing efforts to encourage attendance and participation from students and families
- Photograph SummerREADS activities
- The intern will complete an on-boarding questionnaire to identify their individual goals for the internship. The Assistant Program Director will then work with the intern to tailor the activities and responsibilities of the internship to accomplish those goals
Hours and Compensation
- Intern should be able to commit to most of the dates below:
- Training and Professional Development Dates: June 20-21, 2019
- SummerREADS Program Dates: July 1-August 2, 2019
- Additional hours in the weeks leading up to the program, as needed
- Intern will receive a $500 stipend following completion of the internship
- College credit, if desired, can be arranged (must be worked out in advance with intern’s college or university)
Passion for the arts is a must!
Some experience with and passion for working with students from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
Intern will need to provide their own transportation to and from the sites
To Apply: For consideration, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “SummerREADS Internship.” Please do not send applications that include headshots or photos of yourself.