As vital part of the Guest Services Department and Port Discovery team, Museum Experience Associates are responsible for providing guests with an excellent, memorable experience, stellar customer service, and supporting the Museum’s educational philosophy. As a member of our team, you’ll support playful learning and discovery through meaningful interaction with children and adults, ignite imaginations, and teach children through hands-on experiences.
Exciting things are happening at Port Discovery - Big New Exhibits are coming in Spring 2019! While we are under construction, we have two temporary spaces established for our guests:
- Construction Zone in the Atrium (next to our main museum location) AND
- Pop-Up Play Space at the Shops at Kenilworth
This is a temporary opportunity through April 30, 2019, to work at either one of our locations. This position requires availability on Saturdays and Sundays.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Provide excellent experiences in exhibits and spaces by engaging and interacting with guests.
- Engage children in play through use of props, costumes and exhibit components.
- Facilitate or assist with assigned programming, following program procedures and expectations.
- Perform for special audiences such as birthday parties, early education programming and throughout the Shops at Kenilworth or Atrium locations with interactive programs developed by the museum.
- Ensure exhibits and space is clean and ready for guest use.
- Maintain a safe environment.
- Monitor exhibits and public spaces for safety concerns, including hazardous conditions and suspicious or unsafe guest behavior.
- Attend and participate in meetings and trainings as scheduled.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
The ideal candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma required.
- One-year customer service experience required.
- One year working or volunteering with children in an educational, recreational or theatrical setting a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with adults and children.
- Early childhood experience and/or art or theatre background ideal.
- Skill in interpersonal communication.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and present information effectively to museum guests.
- Ability to work a flexible, variable schedule, including some holidays, evening and weekend days.
- Ability to speak clearly and effectively in crowded settings.
This is an entry-level position, with a starting rate of $10.35 per hour. We can offer a convenient schedule for college students.
Candidates must be 18 years of age and pass a background check before hire.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children.
If you are interested and believe you are qualified for this position, then please submit your resume, cover letter & salary requirements via the following link: http://bit.ly/2Wgbr91
No phone calls please. Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Port Discovery Children’s Museum
As the premier children’s museum in the mid-Atlantic, Port Discovery Children’s Museum educates children and inspires life-long curiosity. Our play-to-learn philosophy opens the door for children to discover and explore the world around them and to lead smarter, healthier, more engaged lives. The Museum, a 501(c)(3) non-profit institution, offers 3 floors of educational, interactive exhibits and programs and is ranked among the Top 10 Children’s Museums in the United States by Fodor’s Travel, Forbes and Parents Magazine.
Exciting things are coming – Big New Exhibits are coming in Spring 2019! Construction is currently underway on new exhibits and Museum improvements as we celebrate our 20th anniversary. Renovations include a new SkyClimber, Port Exhibit, improved lobby area, more family seating areas, a new nursing area, a renovated lunchroom, and updated restrooms.
To learn more about Port Discovery, visit www.portdiscovery.org.