Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Seeks Senior Graphic Designer -
The Senior Graphic Designer works closely with the Vice President of Marketing and Communications and other members of the BSO Marketing team in the development of advertising and marketing collateral for both our Baltimore-Area (Meyerhoff) and DC-Area (Strathmore) patrons, all while maintaining the BSO's brand standards. Designed assets may include, but are not limited to, newspaper and magazine advertising, brochures, posters, direct mail, flyers, vinyl banners, printed and digital signage both in and out of home, digital graphics and web ads. The Senior Graphic Designer oversees several large-scale projects each season, including materials needed to support the annual subscription and single-ticket campaigns. The Senior Graphic Designer also works with leadership in the Development and Education departments to create needed design assets for various events and giving campaigns. The Senior Graphic Designer is also responsible for managing the design production schedule, as well as overseeing and aiding the work-flow of other designers on the Marketing team. In all functions, the Senior Graphic Designer is expected to contribute a high degree of creativity and leadership in the development and production processes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage design and production projects from inception through completion.
- Function independently and efficiently in a deadline-driven environment, and handle multiple, concurrent tasks.
- Adhere to the BSO style guide.
- Quickly and creatively assess needs and develop materials as requested by Marketing and other departments including Development, Education, Artistic and Operations for both print and digital platforms.
- Exhibit leadership by staying on top of shifting design priorities and deadlines, and by delegating tasks to other designers on the team, as needed.
- Source and manage freelance designers as workflow dictates.
- Assist in procuring season image assets by escorting and providing direction to professional photographers during BSO events.
- Manage bidding processes, select print vendors and identify print production processes to meet quality and budget goals.
- Oversee print production processes and maintain familiarity with local production resources.
- Maintain familiarity with all BSO programming to ensure accuracy in marketing communications.
- Coordinate direct mail across two patron bases: including working with printers/mail houses to manage mail lists, print production and execution of complex and frequent campaigns, all while ensuring marketing plan schedules, campaign effectiveness and budget targets are met.
- Proficiency with Adobe CC 19 in a Mac environment and ensure that the BSO operates at a technical level consistent with industry standards.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years increasingly responsible design experience.
- Proficiency with Adobe CC and Microsoft Office Suite including, but not limited to, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint.
- Proactive, self-starting work style and a demonstrated ability to lead other designers.
- Adept at both addressing critical feedback and managing expectations of stakeholders.
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Understanding of and ability to oversee print production processes.
- Must demonstrate initiative, strong creative problem-solving skills, and be able to participate successfully in a fast-paced, team-orientated environment.
- A background and/or interest in symphonic music is a plus.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive salary negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits package that includes:
- Health Insurance
- Dental, Life, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance, paid entirely by the BSO
- Generous paid time off, including annual, personal and sick leave
- 403(b) Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Savings Account
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free and/or discounted tickets to BSO
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
Senior Graphic Designer
Job Submission Requirements:
Please submit links to portfolio or work samples, resume, cover letter and salary requirements to [email protected]
by Friday, February 22, 2019.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.