The Maryland Historical Society seeks a full-time Associate Registrar for a three year period to assist the Director of Collections and the entire Museum Department to complete day-to-day registrarial tasks as well as assist in a large collection move. Successful candidates are detail-oriented, highly organized, self-motivated individuals who are able to think on their feet and to work both individually and as a member of a team. This position reports to the Director of Collections and works in coordination with the Museum staff.
- Implement registrarial policies and procedures for objects coming into and out of the Museum, including gift offers, purchases, transfers, incoming and outgoing loans, accessions, and deaccessions
- Generate receipts and reports
- Catalogue objects in Past Perfect
- Condition reporting
- Keep all incoming and outgoing loans up to date
- Track the movement of objects in Past Perfect
- Object handling
- Complete inventories
- Assign accession numbers
- Rehouse objects using archival methods
- BA in Museum Studies or related field, MA in Museum Studies or other related major preferred
- 2+ years of experience in museum registration
- Excellent communication skills and knowledge of best practices for collections care
- Strong knowledge of museum registration methods and AAM’s Code of Ethics
- Working knowledge of Past Perfect preferred
- Experience in a large-scale collection move preferred
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
About the Position:
This is a full-time three year contractual position with benefits and the possibility of extension.
The Maryland Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the American experience through the rich history of Maryland using the Society’s collections and to preserve important objects and archival materials from prehistoric Maryland to the present day.
Please email a cover letter, resume with three professional references, and salary requirements to [email protected]. Include in the subject line: Associate Registrar. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.