Under the direction of the Chief Advancement Office and in partnership with the Senior Theater Director, the Senior Artistic Director has “start-to-finish” responsibility for specific areas including Family programs, Film, Live, Dance, and internal (Gordon) programming with other JCC departments, as well as programming with other Associated agencies. This person will work closely with the Gordon Center Senior Theater Director on the live music portion of the season. The other areas of responsibility is primary marketing liaison to the JCC Marketing Department on then design and execution of all Gordon marketing efforts (print and digital) and building and sustaining partnerships in the areas of Family programming, Dance, Film and Live.
- College degree required
- Prior experience with arts programming and arts education required
- Extremely personable, professional, and dedicated with exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent human relations, communications and customer service skills.
- Proficient in computer skills and related word processing, data management, and Internet computer software.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Gordon Center Programming & Management
- In the specific areas of dance, family, film and internal (Gordon) programming with other J departments responsibility includes:
- Build and maintain relationships with artists’ agents
- Negotiate contracts
- Book artists within the specific areas of responsibility
- Identify and coordinate relevant external partners/collaborators for each performance as way to build and extend audiences
- Maintain partnerships with internal departments re: audience development
- Determine patron experience for each performance including pre-show activities
2. Manage front of house operations including ticketing, managing house managers, concessions purchasing, and acting as Housekeeping liaison. Work with Operations Assistant to fine tune and document show management system. Likewise, work with Operations Assistant and Lead House Manager(s) on house manager trainings and volunteer recruitment and general oversight.
Fiscal Management & Reporting
- Work with Senior Theater Director to establish show report including format and reporting schedule
- Oversee relevant portion of department budget including review of monthly revenue and expense reports produced by the JCC Finance department. Use monthly reports to provide timely and updated budget projections.
- Work with CAO and Senior Theater Director to establish and maintain a timely report (dashboard) to be provide to senior management and lay leadership as necessary.
Supervision of Staff
- Jointly supervise along with the Senior Theater Director, the 30-hour per week Operations Assistant
- Supervise the full time Arts & Culture Program Director whose duties include film programming including film festival, the development of a new adult programming platform, and overseeing the gallery.
- Work with CAO to plan signature annual fundraising (JLive at the Gordon). Duties include understanding ticketing, logistics of the evening, and execution of successful a event.
- Assist with the Community Block Party as required.
Gordon Center Co-Management responsibilities
- The Gordon Center is co-managed by the Artistic Director and the Theater Director. Coordination activities necessary for this co-management structure to produce a successful Gordon season include:
- Agreeing to the basic shape of the Gordon season. When it is necessary or if there is an opportunity to change the season for whatever reason, the decision is made jointly.
- Keeping the shared calendar updated with both definite and possible programs indicated
- Meeting regularly to review programming ideas
- Ensuring that programming decisions are shared before contracts are signed
- Maintaining shared program cost sheets
- Scheduling, attending, and contributing to the agendas of biweekly Arts & Culture meetings
- Supporting all Gordon events regardless of who has primary responsibility
- Seeking ways to increase coordination
- Attends JCC staff meetings and trainings as required
- Provide expertise for JCC special events (as needed) including JLive, JCC Maccabi 36th Anniversary and Community Block
- Responsible for facilitating all audio visual and performance lighting required for all other JCC departments, in addition to the Gordon Center.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations must be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; use a computer; talk and hear. The employee may also be required to reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for extended periods of time at a desk.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and incumbent will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by supervisor or other management as required. The JCC reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the needs arise. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.