As a vital part of the Guest Services Department and Port Discovery team, the Guest Services Manager leads the day-to-day Guest Services operations and mentors the Guest Services team in providing guests with an excellent, memorable experience, stellar customer service, and supporting the Museum's mission and educational philosophy. As a member of our team, you'll support playful learning and discovery through meaningful interaction with children and adults, ignite imaginations, and promote the power of play in children through hands-on experiences.
Port Discovery Children's Museum is one of the top Children's Museums in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Our mission is to educate children through play and to inspire life-long learning. This is an exciting time to join our team as we re-imagine the Museum through new world class exhibits and programming.
The Guest Services Manager leads the day-to-day Guest Services operation of the Museum including scheduling, school and camp group visits, exhibit preparation, exhibit maintenance, and safety of the museum. This includes the supervision and daily mentoring of the Guest Services Supervisor, Assistant Guest Services Supervisors, up to 40 part-time and seasonal Museum Experience Associates, and Housekeeping staff.
The Manager works closely with the Director of Guest Services in recruitment of new staff and to ensure that staff is trained in all areas of the museum, to ensure the overall quality of the guest and staff experience, and to create an ideal environment for guests of all ages to learn, interact and enjoy a safe, fun, and clean Museum experience. Develops and maintains long term goals for entertaining and educating guests, providing great customer service and maintaining a professional work environment for all staff.
This is a full time 40-hour per week position. The work week is currently Tuesday through Saturday but is subject to change. Scheduled work hours will be adjusted according to department/ museum needs. Participation in special events, evenings, weekends, and holidays will be necessary.
- Create and maintain all scheduling for Museum Experience Associates, including approval of leave requests.
- Work with the Marketing and Education departments to schedule and staff Port-to-Ports, Outreach, and other off-site events.
- Assists with bi-monthly Guest Services employee check-in’s.
- Mentor, provide guidance and follow disciplinary counseling as needed.
Port Discovery is seeking individuals who are:
- Passionate about creating a world-class experience for our museum guests
- Enthusiastic about play and making a difference in children’s lives and the community
- Supportive of the museum’s core values of Respect, Connections, Innovation and Drive for Excellence
- Able to speak in front of large groups of children and adults
- Calm under pressure and have excellent communication skills
- A role model for museum staff
- Bachelor’s Degree required (Master’s degree or higher preferred).
- Must have 2-4 years’ experience in a museum or customer service setting.
- Must have 1-3 years management and/or supervisory experience.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, as well as an ability to take initiative, are necessary.
- Experience with research and/or conducting evaluations is a plus.
- Able to lift and/or move up to 30 lbs.
- Able of walk and stand for long periods of time.
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Convenient location next to a subway stop, or we offer free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
- World class training and programming
- A generous benefits package which includes: health benefits, company provided life and disability, 401k retirement savings, vacation, sick and personal days.
Send us your resume and cover letter, and let’s start this journey together!
Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.