Young Audiences/Arts for Learning, founded in Baltimore in 1950, is the country’s foremost arts-in-education non-profit organization. The Maryland chapter of Young Audiences (YA) provides more than 9,000 arts education opportunities to nearly 200,000 students, artists, and educators throughout the state each year. YA is a mission-driven organization that values community, innovation, and passion. The staff, board, and teaching artists have a shared commitment to advance equity in the field of education by working tirelessly to generate opportunities for students to imagine, create, and realize their full potential through the arts.
The Executive Administrative Assistant is a full-time, exempt position that will report to the Chief Executive Officer. This individual will provide executive, administrative, and development support to the CEO. The Executive Assistant serves as a liaison to the Board of Directors and other department teams, as well as organizes and coordinates external relations efforts and oversees special projects and events. This position is responsible for serving as the primary point of contact and support for all matters pertaining to the CEO. Some evening work will be required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This position is exempt and is not eligible for overtime.
Administrative Support to the CEO: 40%
Serve as the primary point of contact and support on all matters pertaining to the CEO including:
● Perform daily administrative duties and tasks that include managing an active calendar of appointments, completing expense reports, composing and preparing correspondence, arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries and agendas.
● Assist the CEO with priority tasks related to program and business development, board development, fundraising and marketing.
● Provide support to the CEO in managing information flow and special projects.
● Proofreading and formatting documents produced by the CEO and other departments as needed.
● Write correspondence and other documents on behalf of the CEO.
Board meeting and other event planning support: 30%
Manage board meetings as well as other meetings and events with planning, coordinating and supporting, including:
● Serves as the CEO and Board President’s administrative liaison to the Board of Directors and manages Board activities.
● Schedule and support meetings with donors, programmatic partners and other external stakeholders.
● Coordinate five board meetings per year.
- Be an administrative point of contact for board members.
- Work with the Board Secretary to take and distribute board meeting minutes.
- Set-up and break-down meeting rooms including food and coffee preparation.
- Compile and distribute board packets in advance of board meetings.
- Support/organize special events, including planning, invitations, registration tracking, catering, set-up/break-down.
Office support and committee involvement: 20%
Provide office support and be involved in committee meetings that help the organization be connected to the community and grow within our capabilities including:
● Support/staff committee meetings as needed and ongoing research and projects related to these committees, including the Major Gifts, Bridging the Inspiration Gap, Renaming and Rebranding, and Board Development Committees.
● Participate in the Phone Team, acting as an initial point of contact for callers and visitors to the office.
Other Duties as assigned: 10%
The person in this position plays a key role in the organization, and requires a motivated and diligent person with a passion for arts education, excellent organization, and strong communication and computer literacy skills.
Driver’s license is required as the position requires travel throughout the city. The ideal candidate will be passionate about advancing racial equity, while providing opportunities for youth to realize their full potential in our society and value the arts as a transformational tool in our schools and communities.
The candidate must also have:
● At least two years of experience in an administrative assistant role working with executive-level staff.
● Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
● Willingness and flexibility to “do it all” and at all levels from making coffee and scheduling meetings to special events management and donor relations support.
● Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
● Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
● Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
● Self-starter with ability to prioritize, work under pressure, and multitask in a fast-paced environment.
● High degree of initiative; high energy, positive, “can-do” team player.
● An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias, and its impact on policies and practices, especially related to the administration of public education.
● Passion for the arts, arts integration and the role of teaching artists/community artists in education.
● A self-starter with a proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making skills.
● Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors.
● Associates degree or equivalent related work experience in high-level administrative support.
● Excellent computer literacy skills: Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint at minimum. Experience using Gmail, including Google Drive and Google Calendar. Ideal candidate would have some knowledge of donor management software and Salesforce.
We offer an attractive benefits package which includes medical, dental and vision health care coverage, retirement contributions, paid sick leave, and vacation time.
For consideration, please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected] with “Executive Admin. Assistant" in the subject line. The deadline to apply is November 25, 2019. Please do not send applications that include headshots or photos of yourself. No phone calls or recruiters please.