Duration of Internship: June–August 2021
The Publications Marketing Intern will support the Maryland Center for History and Culture’s book publishing efforts within the Publications Department. The intern will gain experience working in a collaborative, nonprofit setting and assisting with specific activities related to book marketing and sales at MCHC— the oldest continuously operating cultural institution in Maryland. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this internship is currently a virtual opportunity.
The Publications Marketing Intern will:
- Work with the Director of Publications and cooperate with the Communications Department and Museum Store to develop and implement marketing and sales strategies for MCHC Press books.
- Research, create, and update contact lists of potential reviewers, customers, and media outlets suitable for promotion.
- Assist with writing promotional copy for MCHC website, press kits, social media, MCHC membership, and direct marketing to retailers and institutional customers.
- Contact MCHC marketing list to make and keep track of purchasing arrangements.
- Help track the impact of marketing and sales strategies by monitoring social media and web analytics, direct communication with MCHC, and Museum Store inventory.
- Help track promotions and (pre)sales.
- Assist with shipping review and presales copies of MCHC Press books.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree or working toward a degree in marketing, journalism, public relations, English, or a related field.
- Enthusiastic about book publishing and nonprofit organizations.
- Prior communications, marketing, sales, and writing experience a plus.
- Excellent research and writing skills. Graphic design skills a plus.
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact checking.
- Professional demeanor and good organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes.
- Ability to ask for help and accept supervision and evaluation of work.
- Ability to work from home using your own computer and Internet access.
- $1,500 stipend.
- Complimentary one-year MCHC membership, including free Library and Museum admission.
- Opportunities to strengthen resume and portfolio.
- Gaining experience in a nonprofit setting.
Time Commitment: 10 hours a week for 12 weeks between June 1 and August 31, 2021
Maryland Center for History and Culture
Publications Marketing Intern
Job Submission Requirements:
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to Martina Kado, Director of Publications, at [email protected]
Complimentary one-year MCHC membership, including free Library and Museum admission.
Opportunities to strengthen resume and portfolio.
Gaining experience in a nonprofit setting.