Port Discovery Children's Museum provides experiences that ignite imagination, inspire learning, and nurture growth through play. We are currently looking for a talented and creative individual to be our part time Community Outreach Education Associate.
This is an entry level position!! This is an ideal position for a recent college graduate looking to gain some valuable education experience in an informal setting.
Position offers 29 hours per week, workweek is typically 4 – 5 days per week consisting of 4- to 6-hour shifts, some weekend shifts monthly may be necessary. Typical schedule will vary depending on the outreach programming. Scheduled work hours will be adjusted according to department/ museum needs. Participation in special events, evenings, weekends and holidays may be necessary.
As vital part of the Education Department and Port Discovery team, a Community Outreach Education Associate is responsible for providing programming that supports playful learning and discovery through meaningful interaction and hands-on experiences to children and adults in our community. As a member of our team, you will provide memorable experiences while supporting the Museum’s educational philosophy within and beyond the museum walls.
An Outreach Education Associate facilitates various outreach programming and activities for young children (age birth through 10 years old) at community festivals and events, libraries, classrooms, after school programs, summer camps and many other locations within the community through virtual, in-person and hybrid learning models. Outreach program themes vary and can include STEM, arts & culture, health & physical fitness and other themes as needed.
Some Responsibilities & Duties:
- Working closely with Port Discovery Education staff and community-based organizations’ staff to create a cohesive team effort.
- Attending and participating in department meetings and trainings as needed.
- Facilitating outreach programs as scheduled.
- Presenting multiple programs 5 – 15 times a week as scheduled.
- Presenting programming through virtual platforms such as Zoom, Google Meets, Microsoft Teams, etc as scheduled.
- Traveling to and from program locations as scheduled.
- Setting up, presenting of program, and neatly cleaning up afterwards.
- Preparing and packing program materials in travel bins.
- High School Diploma required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in progress or completed is preferred (in Education, Early Childhood, Human Services, Arts, Performing Arts, or a related field).
- One - two years working or volunteering with children in an educational, recreational or theatrical setting.
- Ideal candidate for this position is flexible, motivated, animated, child orientated & comfortable with public speaking.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with adults and children.
- Skill in interpersonal communication.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced changing environment.
- Ability to adapt to new environments and teaching formats.
- Ability to work a flexible, variable schedule, including some holidays, evenings and weekend days.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable non-public transportation, and ability to travel up to 1-2 hours away. Vehicle for outreach activities.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
Must be able to meet physical demands of job to include:
- Ability to tolerate moderate to loud noise level in the work environment (in the museum and at the outreach location).
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to often lift and/or move items, materials, bins up to 50 pounds.
- Vision use including near, far, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to drive long distances, through tunnels and over bridges, and traverse uneven terrain with bins and outreach supplies.
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination or weekly testing required
- Virtual interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Physical distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
- Daily health monitoring process
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Convenient location next to a subway stop, or we offer free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
- Earned time off for sick leave
- Retirement savings with Museum match after 6 months
We will also provide you with a memorable experience of being part of a world-class institution, the ability for you to be a key ingredient in our creative and informal programming, and the opportunity to experience our unique job-related training. Bring us your enthusiasm and passion!
If you are interested and feel you are qualified for this position, then please submit your resume, and cover letter.
To learn more about Port Discovery Children’s Museum, visit https://www.portdiscovery.org/. Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.