Port Discovery Children’s Museum, one of the top Children’s Museum in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, is seeking a creative and passionate educator to be our full-time Education Specialist. The mission of Port Discovery is to connect purposeful play with learning. If our mission resonates with you, and you have an educational programming background as well as enjoy the joy and wonder of children as they learn, then we welcome you to apply!
General Summary of the Job:
As a member of the Education Department, the Education Specialist works to provide an exemplary museum experience for all across various domains of education which may include performing arts, STEM, early childhood, environmental conservation and others. The Education Specialist researches, creates, implements, and evaluates innovative educational activities, programs, and events for young children (birth through age 10) and their families that support Port Discovery’s commitment to offer innovative, interactive, playful, and engaging learning experiences. In addition to leading, facilitating, and engaging in educational programming implemented in the museum and the community, the Education Specialist supports Guest Services staff, and develops and maintains pertinent community partnerships that will enhance the Museum offerings and mission.
The Education Specialist also maintains a minimum of direct service covering 2 play periods or approximately 8 hours a week. This may include floor programming, staffing an exhibit or other models of staffing the floor as needed, as well as coverage for Outreach activities such as Port-to-Ports as needed.
This is a full-time position, and the workweek is currently flexible and may require consistent weekend work hours. We are currently open to the public on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Scheduled work hours may also be adjusted according to need and team availability. Participation in special events, evenings, weekends, and holidays will be necessary.
The hourly pay rate for this position is $15 to $16, based on experience.
- In collaboration with Education team members, the Education Specialist supports the planning, coordination, and implementation of educational programming.
- Ensures program descriptions and calendaring are confirmed and correct.
- Researches, creates, implements, and evaluates innovative educational activities, programs, and events for young children (birth through age 10) and their families that support Port Discovery’s commitment to offer innovative, interactive, playful and engaging learning experiences.
- Works closely with all other museum departments to create a cohesive team effort and exemplary “show quality” museum experience.
- Trains, mentors and supports Guest Services staff on education programs, from concept development to implementation through group trainings, individual trainings, modeling, coaching, and collaboration to ensure show quality performance and an exceptional museum experience.
- Responsible for the design and preparation of documents as they relate to performing arts activities programming and planning.
- Participates in the delivery of museum programming as needed and appropriate (e.g., Guided programs for school groups, table-top or Discovery Cart activities, early childhood programs, and Outreach programs).
- Maintains a minimum of direct service covering 2 play periods or approximately 8 hours a week. This may include floor programming, staffing an exhibit or other models of staffing the floor as needed, as well as coverage for Outreach activities such as Port-to-Ports as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, early childhood, the arts, sciences or a related field required.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in and developing educational programming, preferably with children and families, required.
- Must have interest in working closely with children, parents, educators, and museum staff in delivering an exceptional museum experience
- Museum experience is a plus
- Must have excellent presentation, organizational, business writing and interpersonal skills.
- Independent problem solving and decision-making skills are necessary for success.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable non-public transportation are required (for outreach activities).
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
- Group medical, dental and / or vision insurance options
- Vacation, personal and sick leave
- Retirement savings with Museum match after 6 months
- Museum provided life and disability insurance, as well as EAP, travel assistance and grief counseling support.
- Ability to tolerate moderate to loud noise level in the work environment (in the museum and at the outreach location).
- Frequent standing and walking when delivering programming.
- Occasional ability to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Use of normal office equipment.
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination
- Virtual interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Physical distancing guidelines in place
- Capacity levels set in exhibit spaces
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
- Daily health monitoring process
Send us your resume and cover letter, and let’s start this journey together!
To learn more about Port Discovery Children’s Museum, visit https://www.portdiscovery.org/. Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.