Port Discovery Children's Museum is looking for some reliable individuals to join our team for the summer to be our part-time Housekeeping Associates. The Associate is responsible for the cleanliness, upkeep, and thorough deep cleaning of all areas within the museum facility. The objective is to provide a safe, clean, and comfortable museum environment for guests and employees. The successful candidate will have good communication skills, can follow instructions, and takes pride in being part of our team!
This is a temporary and part-time position!! The position can start immediately and will run through Labor Day – September 5, 2022.
The position consists of up to 29 weekly hours, with Saturday AND Sunday shifts required. Schedule may also include weekdays, evenings, and requires flexibility for some events.
Starting pay rate for this position is $15.00 per hour.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Meticulously and consistently performs regular housekeeping / custodial duties. Responsible for attention to detail, and consistent and thorough cleaning of the entire Museum facility.
- Provides safe, clean, comfortable museum environment for museum guests.
- Possess skillsets required to make certain quality and productive cleaning practices are being performed in a safe and healthy manner.
- Cleaning all surfaces of the museum by vacuuming, dusting, mopping floors, wiping, cleaning/disinfecting bathrooms, removing trash throughout the museum, restocking supplies, and any additional needed custodial duties.
- Ability to attend to the needs of guests while on the floor of the museum.
- Operates machinery as it pertains to cleaning the museum.
- High school diploma or its equivalent is required.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in the housekeeping/custodial field or related area.
- Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the housekeeping/custodial field.
- Has knowledge of common custodial / cleaning products and their use.
- Willingness to learn; ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Satisfactory written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work on feet for long hours, lift 30-50 pounds, and work in high spaces / on lifts.
- Willingness to be flexible in scheduling; weekends are required as well as some evenings.
- Must be 18 years of age and able to pass a criminal background check.
- Cultural competency and experience working with diverse communities.
- Experience in customer service a plus.
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Convenient location next to a subway stop, or we offer free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
Must be able to meet physical demands of job to include walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling and lifting / moving objects up to 50 pounds (though there is not a requirement to frequently lift this amount). Use of hands to manipulate tools and materials and reach with hands and arms. Must not be afraid of heights, some work is required in elevated spaces and on lifts. Person in this position must be able to use a vacuum cleaner, brooms and mops without difficulty and use of cleaning materials and supplies is necessary. Exposure to some hazardous materials through use of cleaning and maintenance supplies is present. Work is performed indoors, and the noise level is usually moderate to high. Must be comfortable working amongst small groups of children and caregivers.
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination required
- Virtual interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Physical distancing guidelines in place
- Capacity levels set in exhibit spaces
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
- Daily health screening process
If our position sounds like a good fit then please send us your resume, and let’s start this journey together!
To learn more about Port Discovery Children’s Museum, visit https://www.portdiscovery.org/. Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.