Port Discovery Children’s Museum, one of the top Children’s Museum in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, is seeking a customer service-oriented leader to join our Guest Services team as one of our Manager of Guest Services. The mission of Port Discovery is to connect purposeful play with learning. If our mission resonates with you, and you have hospitality / guest relations and supervisory strengths, then we welcome you to apply!
General Summary of the Job:
As a member of the Guest Services management team, the Manager of Guest Services assists in the daily operations of the Museum with a special focus on safety and guest experience. The manager will primarily work in and manage the Guest Services Station. In addition, the manager works with Guest Services management team in scheduling, daily floor operations and delivery of an exemplary experience, training, and safety. The manager assists in the daily supervision of a staff of up to 25 plus part-time Play Experts by conducting “rounds” and mentoring employees in their overall daily duties and the core values Port Discovery Children’s Museum.
This is a full time 40-hour per week position. Works a very flexible schedule, including weekends, mornings and evenings as needed. The work schedule is currently Thursday to Monday, though that may shift throughout the year and is determined in conjunction with the Guest Services management team.
The salary range for this position is $35k to $40k, based on experience.
Sampling of Responsibilities & Duties:
- Maintains working knowledge of all exhibits and programs throughout the museum and is prepared to act as a Play Expert, as described in the Play Expert job description, at any time.
- Coordinates with the Education and Exhibits Departments to ensure that all new programs and exhibits operate successfully each day and are delivered/maintained in a timely manner.
- Assists the Director of Guest Services with the interview process for potential Play Expert applicants.
- Involved in the new employee onboarding process including contributing to the creation and updating of staff manuals, training new Play Experts and new employee evaluation.
- Coordinates with Director of Guest Services to arrange for additional Guest Services staff training whenever needed based on daily rounds and employee/guest feedback.
- Conducts regular check-ins and evaluations with Play Experts.
Guest Services Station & Safety:
- Responsible for opening and closing of Port Discovery for normal business hours and special events.
- Answer incoming calls in a friendly manner, directing them to appropriate department.
- Sort and deliver all incoming mail and packages.
- Responsible for the supply inventory for the Guest Services station.
- Maintains daily security logs, key control forms, and the lost and found inventory.
- Record in a detailed, written report any security related incidents or medical responses occurring at or related to Port Discovery.
- Responds to radio calls to assist with difficult customers and for separated children.
- High School Diploma necessary, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience working with children and/or in an education setting required.
- 2+ years of supervisory or management related experience required with a proven track record of working both independently as well as with a team, including training, setting expectations, and delegation.
- Demonstrated success in hiring and managing teams of part time staff, including the ability to give direction, motivate and retain staff, as well as holding others accountable.
- Excellent communication, strong organizational and multi-tasking skills are required.
- Customer service, museum and/or hospitality experience a plus.
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings, and holidays.
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
- Group medical, dental and / or vision insurance options
- Vacation, personal and sick leave
- Retirement savings with Museum match after 6 months
- Museum provided life and disability insurance, as well as EAP, travel assistance and grief counseling support
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Ability to tolerate moderate to loud noise level in the work environment.
- Comfortable working amongst large crowds of children and caregivers.
- Position requires frequent walking, standing and movement between different areas of the museum throughout the shift, entailing about 75% of the time being on the feet (which can be as high as 100% during a shift when there is not back-up management on-site).
- Position will also sit for administrative work, working in the Guest Services office and attending meetings (comprising the other 25% of the time).
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination required
- Virtual interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Physical distancing guidelines in place
- Capacity levels set in exhibit spaces
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
- Daily health monitoring process
Send us your resume and cover letter, and let’s start this journey together!
To learn more about Port Discovery Children’s Museum, visit https://www.portdiscovery.org/. Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.