Chesapeake Shakespeare Company
Type: Full-time, permanent, exempt
Reports to: Marketing Director
Work Location: Downtown Baltimore; remote work possible 1–2 days/week
Schedule: Business hours with some evenings and weekends
Start Date: Immediate
About Chesapeake Shakespeare Company
The leading classical theatre company in Maryland, Chesapeake Shakespeare Company is preparing to celebrate our 20th-anniversary season as well as our ninth year in our historic, award-winning theatre in Downtown Baltimore. With an operating budget of over $2 million, CSC now serves over 32,000 patrons and students annually through indoor and outdoor mainstage performances, an extensive education program, and other community outreach.
The Communications Manager oversees Chesapeake Shakespeare Company’s public relations, media partnerships, and community outreach. Working together with the Marketing Director and Marketing Assistant, the Communications Manager leads the Company’s efforts to promote its performance, education, and development missions, playing a critical role in defining the public face of CSC.
- In consultation with the Marketing Director, plan, update, and execute communications campaigns for each artistic season and other program areas
- Initiate and manage partnerships with other community organizations
- Research, write, distribute, pitch, and schedule press releases, story ideas, and other opportunities for publicity on a variety of programs and activities, to media outlets including print, radio, television, and online/digital
- Create, coordinate, and host special events to accompany shows and other Company programming
- Represent CSC at other Company events including (but not limited to): opening nights, press events, community engagement, pre- and post-show activities.
- Represent CSC at community events and networking meetings to raise awareness of the mission and work of the Company
- In concert with the entire Marketing Team:
- Write, edit, proofread, and format copy for print and electronic communications including programs, newsletters, social media, and website
- Organize, structure, and maintain website content
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of one to two years full-time professional experience with responsibility for communications, public relations, or a related area
- Demonstrated expertise in the execution of communications, marketing, and public relations events and materials
- Demonstrated experience making public presentations
- Great communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong command of grammar and style; careful attention to detail; excellent proofreading
- Ability to work both independently and in groups in a collaborative team environment
- Aptitude for juggling multiple creative and administrative projects
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office business applications, preferably in an enterprise setting
- Familiarity with, and interest in, theatre and/or arts and culture strongly preferred
- Sense of humor a requirement
Where qualifications are described in terms of formal education or training, prior experience in a related field, as determined by CSC, may alternatively be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range $40,000–$45,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Paid health insurance for employee
- Paid short- and long-term disability insurance
- Paid parking
- Generous paid time off, including paid holidays, two weeks of flexible paid leave, and paid leave the last week of December (Christmas through New Year’s Day)
- The opportunity to work in a lively, laid-back office with passionate and friendly colleagues who are committed to making Shakespeare fun and Baltimore better
Submit resume and cover letter discussing background, qualifications, and interest in the position to [email protected]. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. Submission of a writing sample is also encouraged but not required. Chesapeake Shakespeare Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. For more information about CSC, please visit https://www.chesapeakeshakespeare.com. No phone calls, please.