Port Discovery Children’s Museum is looking for a highly organized and creative individual to provide administrative assistance for the museum’s Development and Marketing department.
The Development and Marketing Assistant will support the smooth functioning of a five-person team by being the point person for project schedules, data entry, record keeping, written and phone communications, as well as maintaining (and establishing and improving!) systems and processes for maximum efficiency. The ideal candidate will be collaborative and flexible, and above all, comfortable in a role that demands a creative, relationship-building mindset, with the ultimate goal of fostering long-term relationships across our communities and partners in order to increase support for the museum. This is an excellent position for an early career professional to gain a broad experience in the areas of fundraising, marketing, outreach, and communications.
This is a full-time 40 hours per week position, with some weekends and evenings for special events as needed. This position allows for a hybrid work schedule, with all employees required to work in the office a minimum of three days per week.
The hourly pay range for this position is $18 - $19.50, based on experience.
About Port Discovery:
The mission of Port Discovery Children’s Museum is to provide unique opportunities and high-quality experiences that make play accessible, educational, and fun for all. Our work is driven by the vision to foster joy, connections, laughter, and learning through purposeful play. We believe in a world where the value of learning through play is recognized and respected, backed by the science that demonstrates the power of play to transform the lives of children (and their families).
Since 1998, we have served over 5 million visitors as one of the mid-Atlantic region’s leading children’s museums. Our core programming includes exhibits and creative activities in our 80,000 square foot museum, access programs for students and low-income families, educational programs and workshops for local school districts, and two generational programming for parents and early childhood educators. On average, the Museum sees 225,000 annual visitors, which includes families, teachers, and students at its Inner Harbor location in the historic Fish Market building.
- Assist emerging marketing partnerships and help maintain current relationships with local and regional partners.
- Responsible for data management and entry for members and mailing list maintenance.
- Coordinate communication, traffic, and projects among different departments as needed. This includes sending out monthly internal emails, attending meetings with other departments, and following up on project requests and deliverables.
- Create and post listings on internal and external calendars.
- Assist with the setup, facilitation and completion of museum events.
- Communicate and coordinate with media and marketing partners (influencers, advertising agency, outside designers); brainstorm ways to increase relationships with these partners.
- Input and maintain accurate donor records via the museum’s donor database.
- Write, send, and track donor acknowledgement letters in timely fashion.
- Prepare and produce select fundraising reports and tracking documents.
- Share responsibility to communicate and coordinate with news media as needed.
- Help update museum website, create graphics, and complete other requests as needed.
- Have an appetite for fun and creativity in all work duties.
- No duties are considered too big or too small for employees at Port Discovery. Museum staff should be prepared to assist in all “others duties as assigned” as needed within the organization.
- Well versed in standard computer programs, including spreadsheets, forms, databases
- 1-3 years of experience in an office setting; Experience in a cultural, educational, or nonprofit organization is a plus.
- Basic graphic design skills (or an eagerness to learn).
- Associates degree with an interest in fundraising, communications, business, or operations ideal, or commensurate experience accepted.
- Excellent organizational and data entry skills with high attention to details and accuracy.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Strong written and communication skills.
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
- Group medical, dental and / or vision insurance options
- Vacation, personal and sick leave
- Retirement savings with Museum match after 6 months
- Museum provided life and disability insurance, as well as EAP, travel assistance and grief counseling support.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment:
This is a largely sedentary role. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, bend, and reach with hands and arms, especially when moving about the museum to assist with the setup of museum events. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Normal working hours for this position are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. However, flexibility is needed for special events, requiring some evening and weekend work. This position will allow for a hybrid schedule, but all employees are required to be on-site a minimum of three days per week. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Send us your resume and cover letter, and let’s start this journey together!
To learn more about Port Discovery Children’s Museum, visit https://www.portdiscovery.org/ . Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.