Port Discovery Children’s Museum is one of the top Children’s Museums in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. Our mission is to educate children through play and to inspire life-long learning. We are seeking a dependable, composed, and welcoming individual to join our team as our weekend Museum Safety Associate. The Safety Associate is responsible for the daily safety and security operations of the museum.
Scheduled work shifts are Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. Participation in special events, evenings, weekends, and holidays may be requested as well. Weekly hours will be 24.
This is an entry-level position, with a starting rate of $16.50 per hour.
Port Discovery is seeking an individual who is:
- Calm under pressure and has excellent communication skills
- Organized multi-tasker
- Creative, dependable and flexible
- 2+ years of safety or security experience required.
- High School Diploma necessary.
- Excellent communication, strong organizational and multi-tasking skills are required.
- Proficiency with MS Office required.
- Experience working with children and/or in an education setting a plus.
- Customer service, museum and/or hospitality experience a plus.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age and able to pass a criminal background check.
- Responsible for opening and/or closing of Port Discovery on scheduled days.
- Monitor security cameras and access log during shift.
- Perform routine patrols of property, both internal and external, reporting any security risks or safety hazards to the appropriate teams.
- Handle trespassers and disruptive people according to museum policy.
- Answer incoming calls in a friendly manner, directing them to appropriate department.
- Sort and deliver all incoming mail and packages.
- Provide CPR or first aid when needed.
- Record in a detailed, written report any security related incidents or medical responses occurring at or related to Port Discovery.
- Respond to radio calls to assist with difficult customers and for separated children.
- Other duties as assigned.
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Convenient location next to a subway stop, or we offer free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
- Earned time off for sick leave
- Retirement savings with Museum match after 6 months
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
Must be able to meet physical demands of job to include walking, standing, climbing, bending, kneeling and lifting / moving objects up to 30 pounds. About 50% of the time will consist of walking / monitoring the museum building and property; and then the other 50% will be spent sitting / working in the Guest Services Station. The noise level is usually moderate to high. Must be comfortable working amongst small groups of children and caregivers.
Send us your resume and cover letter, and let’s start this journey together!
To learn more about Port Discovery Children’s Museum, visit https://www.portdiscovery.org/. Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.