The deadline to apply for a 2017 Rubys Artist Grant in Literary Arts or Visual Arts is less than two weeks away! (APPLY HERE.) You have until 11:59pm on Monday, July 31 to submit your grant proposal. To help speed along your application process, here are answers to the most frequently asked questions:
1. What is the grant timeline?
Approximately October 2017 through September 2018
2. I am a GBCA member. How do I apply without paying the application fee?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the category to which you want to apply (literary arts or visual arts) to obtain the direct member's link.
3. I am a member, forgot to get the direct member's link, and I paid the application fee. What do I do?
Your membership will be automatically renewed for an additional year, or you can make the fee a donation to GBCA (tax write off!).
4. Where can I find templates for creating a budget, timeline, and work sample inventory list?
Templates can be downloaded here: Budget, Timeline, Inventory List
5. For the public component requirement, do I have to have a venue/event space booked at the time of application?
Absolutely not. We ask that you simply provide some ideas of what your ideal public component would be should you get the grant.
6. Will I have a stronger application if my project (a) includes an art education component (b) is related to social justice or (c) is directly connected to Baltimore?
No. If any of these items are inherent to your art practice – great! However, the Rubys supports artistic projects of any content, background, or theme. Being authentic to your art practice makes for the strongest application.
7. Will the grants manager read my application draft and provide feedback prior to submitting?
No. However, after all applicants are notified, you may set up a feedback appointment with the grants manager to discuss your application.
8. Where can I find who has received a grant in past?
Go here to see the list of past grantees. Also listed are the names of previous jury panels.
9. When will I know if I got a grant?
All applicants will be notified of their status in by early October 2017
10. When is the next grant cycle?
The next grant cycle opens for application on January 1, 2018 and will focus on the categories of Media Arts and Performing Arts. Bookmark this page to stay posted on future announcements.
If you have any other questions, email or phone the grants manager (email@example.com / 410-230-0200).