Single Carrot Theatre (SCT) is committed to creating 21st century learners by building creative and innovative thinking and tools for self-expression through theatre. SCT is seeking a part-time teaching artist (12-20 hours/week) to assist lead teaching artist in current in-school and after school program at Margaret Brent Elementary/Middle School.
This position is specifically seeking a theatre teaching artist to support the lead teaching artist in a theatre afterschool program for elementary and middle school students two days a week from 2:20-3:45pm beginning in November 2016 through May 2017 and to support elementary and middle school theatre classes during the day from 9-11am Monday-Friday beginning in January 2017 through the end of the school year.
SCT also works with various schools, groups and organizations throughout the year. The part time teaching artist may work on other SCT education programs as their schedule permits.
- Part-Time Teaching Artist will both lead and co-facilitate various theatre education programs that Single Carrot provides.
- The teaching artist will be expected to arrive at location with adequate time prior to workshop time to set up the classroom, as well as clean up the classroom afterward.
- Teaching Artist will adhere to lesson plans, but must be able to think creatively and be able to respond to unexpected and last minute changes.
- Teaching Artist may be requested to create robust grade-appropriate lesson plans for the classes for various education programs.
- When teaching artist is the sole facilitator, should the teaching artist be unable to teach any of the classes, it is the teaching artist’s responsibility to procure a substitute from the substitute list provided by Single Carrot.
- Available to substitute for lead teaching artist when needed.
- Support lead teaching artist in implementing lesson plans and managing classroom.
- Assist with coordination and planning of spring production.
- The teaching artist is expected to attend planning and/or staff meetings at Single Carrot Theatre as requested. This position reports to the Artistic Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in theatre or education, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in arts education, specifically in theatre or performance.
- 2+ years teaching, assistant teaching or co-teaching experience of elementary and middle school grade levels and/or experience working within a city school system preferred.
- 2+ years theatre experience, performance or direction preferred.
Instructor must be able to pass a fingerprint and criminal background check.
Salary: $11-13 hourly
Teaching opportunities are contingent on funding and available programs