Single Carrot Theatre (SCT) is committed to creating enthusiastic 21st-century learners through ensemble building and collaboration through theatre performance. For the past three years, SCT has partnered with Margaret Brent Elementary Middle School to provide teaching artists for a year-long program: The World of Theatre. SCT is looking for a part-time assistant teaching artist to support this important program.
Assistant teaching artist will support lead teaching artist in supporting classroom management and lesson implementation. SCT teaching artists hold students to a high standard of excellence and will create a classroom culture of high expectations.
The World of Theatre will be taught M-F as a Rotating Resource class in the 2017/18 school year and will follow the Baltimore City Public Schools calendar. The Resource classes follow a rotation between theatre, art, music, P.E., etc. Classes are held between 8am-2:30pm each day
The program may also include an afterschool program culminating in a production at the end of the year. The spring production would be developed with the teaching artist, school staff and Single Carrot Theatre. Other opportunities could arise for involvement in other education programs at Single Carrot Theatre.
- Assistant Teaching artist is expected to support lead teaching artist up to 2-4 theatre classes daily for Pre-K though 8th grade at Margaret Brent Elementary / Middle School.
- Assistant teaching artist will support lead teaching artist in implementing lesson plans and classroom and behavior management.
- Assistant teaching artist is expected to follow lesson plans created by lead teaching artist based on Baltimore City Schools curriculums when available.
- Assistant teaching artist will be expected to arrive 25 minutes prior to the first scheduled class of the day to set up the classroom; clean-up is also required at the end of the day. Assistant teaching artist will adhere to the lesson plan and teach lesson plans when requested by lead teaching artist. Assistant teaching artist must be able to think creatively and be able to respond to unexpected and last minute changes.
- Assistant teaching artist will monitor school’s calendar for any scheduling changes.
- Assistant teaching artist will substitute for lead teaching artist when needed. Should the assistant teaching artist be unable to teach any of the classes when lead teaching artist is not present, it is their responsibility to procure a substitute from the substitute list provided by Single Carrot.
- Assistant teaching artist is expected to attend faculty meetings at Margaret Brent Elementary/Middle School and attend standing meetings with school administration.
- Assistant teaching artist is expected to attend staff meetings and weekly check ins at Single Carrot Theatre and with other SCT teaching artists.
- Teaching artists report to the Lead Teaching Artist & Artistic Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in theatre or education, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in arts education, specifically in theatre or performance.
- Strong classroom management and behavioral management skills are preferred.
- 1+ years teaching experience, all elementary and/or middle school grade levels.
- 2+ years theatre experience, performance or directing preferred.
- Experience working within a public school system a plus.
- Instructor must be able to pass a fingerprint test and criminal background test.
Salary & Benefits Package:
- $12-14/hour, commensurate with experience
- This is a 10-month position through the 2017/18 school year
Single Carrot Theatre is committed to building a diverse community of staff, interns and artists. Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
ABOUT SINGLE CARROT THEATRE
The Single Carrot Theatre ensemble is a driving force for theatrical innovation in Baltimore—championing new, diverse, and socially significant works; reinvigorating the classics; creating vibrant theatrical experiences; and fiercely supporting the growth of artists.
In 2007, Single Carrot Theatre (SCT) opened its doors to become a driving force for theatrical innovation in Baltimore. SCT is “the dean of Baltimore’s alternative theatre scene (The Baltimore Sun) and reaches over 3,000 audience members and over 1,000 students annually. Now entering its 11th full season, Single Carrot theatre has produced over 45 mainstage productions, participated in numerous collaborative endeavors with area nonprofits, offered extensive educational programming for both children and adults and engaged in international exchanges with theatre artists from Russia, Hungary and Bulgaria. SCT productions continue to receive critical praise and provide an indispensable home for emerging theatre artists and recent graduates in Baltimore to hone and professionalize their craft. Through various initiatives, Single Carrot Theatre has made it a priority to engage and empower Baltimore’s residents through theatre.