The Communications Associate manages all communications and marketing initiatives that help build strong positive relationships, financial support, and appreciation of the University Museums and their missions and goals. This position reports and provides assistance where needed to the Director of Communications and Marketing for the Sheridan Libraries and University Museums, while working closely with the Associate Dean for External Affairs and the director/curators of Homewood Museum and Evergreen Museum & Library.
Duties & Requirements:
- Develop and implement an effective marketing program— including media relations, print and electronic communications (including social media), membership communications, and integrated marketing promotions —to shape and disseminate branded organizational messages tailored to specific audiences.
- Oversee the handling of media requests and follow-up, press previews and materials, and media monitoring. Generate positive print and electronic media coverage of the Museums to increase general awareness and promote visitation.
- Produce and distribute high-quality and timely marketing materials aimed at a variety of constituents for Museums activities including special exhibitions, educational programming, and fundraising initiatives.
- Provide support to development colleagues by producing communications to donors, including acknowledgment letters and stewardship reports. Coordinate with colleagues to ensure membership and donor communications are in line with overall institutional messaging.
- Work with the director/curators and development colleagues to create and implement events that increase and maintain the Museums’ visibility with potential and current members, visitors, donors, and university faculty, staff and students.
- Assist the director/curators with Museums publications, including exhibition catalogues and gallery guides.
- Collaborate with museum and private events staff to generate creative ideas to promote Museums revenue sources (i.e. facility rental, shop sales, membership).
- Manage the development and on-going maintenance of the JHU Museums web site.
- Plan and manage marketing budgets and financial activities.
- Provide assessment and evaluation of marketing efforts and programs as requested
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) and at least four years of progressively responsible experience in communications or marketing in a museum, higher education, cultural, or non-profit environment.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral; strong creative skills with excellent graphic and design sense.
- Proven ability to recommend, design, and implement new initiatives; experience in applying innovation and strategic, long-term thinking.
- The ability to understand and appreciate the services and collections of university museums in supporting faculty and student research and teaching.
- Experience with producing communications materials to support fundraising initiatives and alumni/community engagement.
- Skill in engaging with constituencies across multiple channels; demonstrated use of both traditional and emerging media platforms.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team, and manage multiple and competing priorities to ensure production of high-quality work in a dynamic, deadline-oriented environment.
Position is full-time at 37.5 hours per week with a competitive salary commensurate with experience and credentials (range: $57,500–$63,500). Johns Hopkins University (JHU) provides excellent benefits package as well as vacation and sick time along with paid holidays.
A complete description is posted on the JHU Jobs website (requisition 2238).