Overview: Hopkins Symphony Orchestra is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Conductor and Concert Orchestra Conductor. Hopkins Symphony Orchestra is a program of Johns Hopkins University, Homewood Arts Programs and is the only community orchestra in Baltimore City. Orchestra musicians are Johns Hopkins students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members.
Hopkins Symphony Orchestra’s vision is to be an integral presence in the JHU and surrounding communities as Baltimore City’s only community orchestra. Vital to both campus and community life, HSO provides quality performances, educational opportunities, community engagement projects, and collaborations with artistic, social, and educational partners.
The position of Assistant Conductor and Concert Orchestra Conductor is an independent contractor position. It not a JHU staff position and there are no benefits. This is a two-year position with possible extension.
HSO Assistant Conductor
● Be present at all dress rehearsal and concert dates (dates, subject to change, listed below)
● Be present at up to 2 additional rehearsals for each concert cycle
● Attend and participate in August/September auditions
● Other administrative/artistic duties, as assigned by the MD
Concert Orchestra Conductor
● Conduct 3 concert orchestra concerts and their requisite rehearsals (dates, subject to change, listed below)
● Select appropriate repertoire for ensemble, for future season/s, in collaboration with MD
● In collaboration with General Manager (GM): Recruit orchestra members, Designate string seatings and orchestra roster, Coordinate string bowings, Perform other administrative duties as needed, Participate in concert publicity
● Speak engagingly to audiences
● Create a positive environment for students and amateur musicians of varying backgrounds and abilities to make music and advance their musicianship
● Communicate regularly and promptly with MD and GM
BA/BM degree; Related experience performing the duties described above. Open to all qualified candidates. Preference given to currently enrolled Peabody graduate students or graduate program alumni.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and video recording (online links preferred) of applicant’s conducting of performance and/or rehearsal to: [email protected]. Materials must be received no later than Monday, March 5, 2018.
No phone calls, please. Email [email protected] with questions.
Second round applicants (as informed) will be asked to submit a three-concert season proposal, for use in 2018-2019 season. Details will accompany second round notifications.
Hopkins Symphony 2018-2019 Dates, (subject to change)
Thursday, August 30, 2018, 5-10pm
Friday, August 31, 2018, 5-10pm
Saturday, September 1, 2018, 10am-6pm
HSO Symphony Orchestra Dates:
Friday, October 12, 2018, 7-9:30pm, Dress Rehearsal
Saturday, October 13, 2018, 8pm, Concert
Friday, November 30, 2018, 7-9:30pm, Dress Rehearsal
Saturday, December 1, 2018, 8pm, Concert
Friday, March 8, 2019, Dress Rehearsal
Saturday, March 9, 2019, 8pm, Concert
Sunday, March 10, 2019, 3pm, Family Concert
Friday, April 26, 2019, 7-9:30pm, Dress Rehearsal
Saturday, April 27, 2019, 8pm, Concert
Concert Orchestra Schedule
All times 2-4:30PM rehearsals except where noted
Sunday, September 16, 2018
Saturday, September 22, 2018
Sunday, September 23, 2018
Saturday, September 29, 2018
Sunday, September 30, 2018, 12pm dress rehearsal/sound check
Sunday, September 30, 2018, 3pm concert
Sunday, October 28, 2018
Saturday, November 3, 2018
Sunday, November 4, 2018
Saturday, November 10, 2018
Sunday, November 11, 2018, 12pm dress rehearsal/sound check
Sunday, November 11, 2018, 3pm concert
Saturday, February 2, 2019
Saturday, February 9, 2019
Sunday, February 10, 2019
Saturday, February 16, 2019
Sunday, February 17, 2019, 12pm dress rehearsal/sound check
Sunday, February 17, 2019, 3pm concert