Visual Art Facilitator
Baltimore Youth Arts is a creative entrepreneurship and job training program that provides artistic and professional opportunities to youth, ages 14-22, with a focus on on those involved in the justice system. Our mission is to assist young people in gaining the creative, personal, and educational skills that will enable them to become leaders in their communities.
Baltimore Youth Arts is currently hiring a Visual Art instructor for upcoming sessions at the Baltimore City Juvenile Justice Center.
This is a temporary position. Instructors work with youth for 5-10 weeks each session. Classes may be extended based on the feedback received from participants.
- Develop a 5-10 week lesson plan
- Engage 6-12 youth at the BCJJC in a 1.5-2 hour weekly class
- Student ages could range from 12-18 years old
- Track participant attendance and submit to Deputy Director
- Assist in the documentation of student work
- Attend training at BYA and an orientation with DJS
- Provide class outlines, lesson plans, and materials lists to Executive Director
- Provide assistance to students with the completion and generation of art projects
- Adequately clean classroom and return all supplies to the locked cabinet
Minimum Education: High School, some college preferred
Minimum Age: 21
Minimum teaching experience: 2 Years
- Be well versed in various art forms (drawing, painting, mixed media)
- Strong teaching and group facilitation skills
- Working artist with a strong studio practice
- Belief in the creative potential and voices of young people affected by the juvenile justice system
- Successful candidate will need a reliable source of transportation
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to multitask and be flexible in a sometimes chaotic environment
- Must pass annual background check
- This position requires instructors to maintain patience, flexibility, and to have an understanding of the juvenile justice system.
To Apply, send the following to [email protected]
- Cover Letter
- 5-10 work samples
Job Type: Contract, temporary
Compensation: Based on experience and class length. Compensation will include instruction and class prep.