General Job Description: Reporting to the Executive Director, the House Manager oversees audience experiences for all Subscription Series concerts. Supervising the usher corps, the House Manager is responsible for the smooth and professional operation of all public areas of Shriver Hall ensuring the safety and comfort of all patrons before, during, and immediately after each Subscription Series concert.
Job Requirements: At least eight Subscription Series concerts throughout the season. Reasonable availability by phone and email between concerts is required.
Full/Part Time: Non-exempt, Part-Time Hourly; $18/hour.
- Arrive at the venue 2 ½ hours in advance of showtime to prep programs and inspect the space; remain through the last patron’s departure and storage of program books is completed.
- Check in and assign volunteer and student usher duties and responsibilities at each concert. This includes any pertinent information specific to the concert.
- Check in with Box Office to review the seating map and assess any ADA needs.
- For sold-out concerts, coordinate with Box Office on admittance of any patrons on the waiting line.
- Oversee and assist with seating of the audience, as necessary. Handle any seating conflicts or requests, communicating with the Box Office as necessary.
- Ensure that the house opens to the public, the concert starts, and the concert resumes after intermission as close to on time as possible, while maintaining safety of the audience and coordinating with Back Stage.
- Oversee seating of latecomers at the designated time.
- Complete house reports for each concert, documenting any issues that emerged.
- Train, lead, supervise, and empower volunteers and ushers to assist in solving issues as they arise.
- Handle sensitive audience situations with respect and proactiveness.
- Identify problems and strive to fix them quickly.
- Be diligent and up-to-date on ADA laws, fire code, crowd control techniques, and SHCS emergency procedures.
- Enforce SHCS’s house policies (e.g., requirement to have a ticket for entrance, admittance of latecomers, forbiddance of food and beverage in the hall)
- Represent SHCS positively and best of your ability.
- Assist in recruiting ushers and volunteers, as requested.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Experience as house manager preferred.
- Experience in dealing with a variety of people of all ages in a variety of situations in a polite yet direct fashion.
- Works well independently and with others.
- Experience in customer service experience and event management.
- CPR/First Aid training.
- Crowd Control certification.
- Fluency in basic MS Office and Google Suite.
- Knowledge of fire code and ADA laws.
- Personal integrity with a sense of humor.
Founded in 1966, Shriver Hall Concert Series is one of the nation’s most respected presenters of internationally known soloists and chamber ensembles. The eight-concert subscription series is presented in Shriver Hall auditorium on The Johns Hopkins University’s Homewood Campus in Baltimore, MD. An additional three Discovery Series concerts are presented in venues throughout the Baltimore region, and outreach activities are conducted on a regular basis.
Shriver Hall Concert Series is an independent 501(c3) corporation that relies solely on ticket sales, endowment income, grants, and contributions for support, and is governed by a Board of Directors.
Potential candidates are invited to send a cover letter, resume, and any salary expectations to [email protected]. No phone inquiries, please. Shriver Hall Concert Series is an Equal Opportunity Employer.