Young Audiences is seeking enthusiastic, hardworking teachers to serve as part-time P.E teachers for its Summer Arts &
Learning Academy operated in partnership with Baltimore City Public Schools. P.E teachers will supervise and lead a
series of structured recesses and one 90-minute class teaching a variety of sports and physical activities each day of the
program. Athletics teachers may also organize additional sports and physical education events on-site within the
About the Summer Arts & Learning Academy:
Baltimore City Schools’ Summer Arts & Learning Academy (SALA), operated by Young Audiences/Arts for Learning
Maryland (YA), is an action-packed, full-day, five-week program that introduces students to a wide variety of art
forms—from illustration and spoken word to percussion, drama, and dance—and gives students a chance to work
alongside students from across the city and be taught by professional artists. Daily literacy and math classes are
co-taught by a teacher and professional teaching artist allowing students to experience reading, writing, and math like
never before...through the arts! Students have the opportunity to imagine, create, and express who they are through
the arts and try on art forms they never imagined. Students travel to different arts destinations across the city, and their
work will be celebrated through a student showcase on the final day of the program. YA will host eight Academy sites
throughout the City, locations TBD. Each site will host 10-13 classrooms of 26 students each.
Mission and Core Values:
The mission of Young Audiences elementary grade Summer Arts & Learning Academy is to provide students with a
once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to spend a summer learning from the best teachers and teaching artists our state has to
offer. Through a dynamic, creative, and supportive environment, students will explore math and literacy in a unique
arts-integrated environment that prevents the summer learning slide, allows them to develop socially and emotionally,
expands their personal creative process, and introduces them to many different art forms taught by professional artists.
● believe unwaveringly that ALL students can achieve high standards in and through the arts;
● provide opportunities for students to develop powerfully articulate voices through art forms and honor their
creative processes along the way;
● create safe, brave learning environments for students to grow, make mistakes, and contribute to the
● collaborate and reflect by learning from and with each other at every step of the process, cultivating positive
relationships between all ages;
● encourage the development of critical thinking, problem solving, inquiry, imagination, and creativity, and
provide multiple ways for students to demonstrate knowledge and mastery;
● learn about, honor, and leverage the cultural knowledge, experiences, and frames of reference of our students
and community to make learning more relevant and effective;
● ensure that our students are known, loved, supported, celebrated, and valued.
Essential Skills and Attributes:
● Strong collaboration and leadership skills.
● Dedication to coaching students
● Physical Education certification required.
● Excellent organizational skills.
● Excellent and timely communication skills.
● Excellent classroom management skills.
● Understanding and appreciation of arts integration.
Dates and Times:
To fulfill this contract, PE teachers must be able to commit to attending all program days.
● All SALA contractors will need to attend a series of professional development trainings.
o Cookout: This will take place on a weeknight evening. This is paid
● Training and Professional Development Week - Wed-Fri, June 24-26 and Mon-Tues, June 29 OR 30, 9:00 am –
4:30 pm. This is required and is paid.
● Final On-Site Prep and Planning Day
● Academy Dates: The program will begin on July 6th and end on August 7th. Program hours are 8:30 am
(Breakfast) to 3:00 pm. Note: one Academy location will run an additional week and end on August 14th.
● Two 1-hour planning meetings/staff meetings per week (times TBD, most likely staff meetings on Tuesday and
Thursdays at 8:00 am).
PE Teachers will be compensated based on a number of factors, including experience and the specific
circumstances of their contracted position (i.e. site location, number of teaching hours etc). PE Teachers will be
paid an hourly rate of $24.00 - $27.20 and PE teachers completing the entire program will be paid up to $3,936 -
$5,140 for working the whole summer.
Scope of Work
● Plan and supervise a structured recess for all students daily.
● Supervise and teach an afternoon athletics enrichment class for 26 students each.
● Ensure that the mission and core values of the program are present at all times.
● Develop and execute exciting and meaningful lesson plans.
● Ensure a positive classroom culture and climate.
● Serve as a positive mentor and role model for students.
● When appropriate, organize site based athletics challenges and tournaments in partnership with the site
● Ensure that lessons are creating a fun environment and building a positive classroom culture.
● Maintain classroom management.
● Serve as a mentor and role model to participating students.
For consideration, apply online at https://www.yamd.org/programs/summer-arts-academy/work-with-us/