Maryland Historical Society
Part-Time Visitor Services Associate
The Maryland Historical Society seeks an enthusiastic Part-time Visitor Services Associate to perform all functions of the Visitor Services Department in order to provide a high level of customer service to members, visitors, volunteers, and staff. This position also has key responsibilities for security functions and monitoring the safety and security of MdHS facilities.
- Perform the daily operation of the Front Desk, providing excellent customer service by contributing to a warm and welcoming environment;
- Greet, orient, and register patrons to museum and library, collect admission fees, provide orientation and museum guides when appropriate, and maintain stocks of literature for events and programs;
- Promote visitor engagement by actively selling memberships and inform visitors of upcoming programs and events;
- Provide basic information for callers and visitors regarding MdHS, the museum and library collections;
- Perform front line telephone receptionist functions: answer telephone calls promptly and accurately, transfer callers to the appropriate personnel;
- Monitor walk-ins to maintain awareness of who is present in the building on a daily basis;
- Assist with Museum Store functions as needed;
- Handle all administrative tasks at the Visitor Services desk;
- Assist with the collection of and logging demographic information used for tracking visitation numbers;
- Security duties include performing daily opening and closing procedures and security monitoring function, as well as observing proper protocols for access to restricted areas, including monitoring contractors and other non-staff visitors to those areas;
- Maintain assigned security codes and key sets necessary to open the parking lot and campus buildings for staff and public access prior to designated opening hours; perform routine patrols throughout the interior and exterior of the facility to ensure the safety of exhibitions, personnel and visitors, to report any unusual conditions or problems, and to assure cleanliness of the facility;
- Assist in the set up and breakdown of programs and events, and light housekeeping when needed;
- Other duties as assigned (may include assisting other departments with administrative work or special projects).
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required, bachelor’s degree preferred. Interest in art, history, or museums is a plus;
- Prior customer service, retail, and/or security experience required;
- Excellent customer service and communications skills. Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns;
- Working knowledge of business office applications including email, word processing, spreadsheet and database applications;
- Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel;
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and safety procedures;
- Ability to work cooperatively with all staff, Trustees, volunteers, and members;
- Visitor Services Associates are required to work weekends and occasional evening events;
- Moderate physical activity. Must be able to stand for long periods and lift up to 25 pounds.
This is a part-time position. 20-25 hours per week. The hourly rate is $13.00.
- The Maryland Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the rich history and culture of Maryland and the nation. MdHS collects, preserves and interprets the historically significant art, objects, documents and images from prehistoric Maryland to the present.
- Founded in 1844, the Maryland Historical Society is the state’s oldest continuously operating cultural institution. In keeping with the founders’ commitment to preserve the remnants of Maryland’s past, MdHS remains the premier institution for state history. With over 350,000 art objects and artifacts and seven million books and documents, the society now serves more than 100,000 people through its museum, library, press and educational programs. Learn more at www.mdhs.org.
Please email a cover letter and resume with contacts of three professional references to [email protected]. Subject line: Part-Time Visitor Services Associate. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.