Chesapeake Shakespeare Company
Box Office Assistant
Type: Part-time (28 hours/week), permanent, non-exempt
Reports to: Box Office Manager
Work Location: Downtown Baltimore; Ellicott City (summer)
As the most frequent first point of contact for our patrons, Chesapeake Shakespeare Company’s box office staff plays a vital role in welcoming audiences to our theater. The box office assistant receives and processes ticket orders at our downtown Baltimore theater and, during summer, at our outdoor performances in Ellicott City; addresses patron questions and issues while maintaining a friendly and welcoming environment; and provides general support for box office management.
This is a part-time position; however, depending on the goals of the employee and the needs of the Company, future growth into a full-time position with additional responsibilities is possible.
Duties include (but are not limited to):
- Assist in the daily operations of the box office: process single-ticket and subscription sales and exchanges; resolve customer issues at our Baltimore mainstage and at our outdoor summer ticket tent at the Patapsco Female Institute Historic Park, Ellicott City.
- Process and fulfill ticket orders for VIPs, donors, educational programs, and other patrons through all modes of sale: walk-up, phone, email, web
- Responsibly handle cash, credit card, and other forms of payment to process ticket orders
- Answer customer phone calls in a professional and efficient manner, providing updated information about productions, parking, seating arrangements, ticket exchanges, directions, and additional information as appropriate
- Assist patrons at the window or tent with ticket purchases and will-call pick up
- Count out box office and concessions cash drawers
- For summer outdoor productions: transport equipment (computer, scanners, signs) to the site each week during the run; set up and take down tent and table for will-call and pack equipment for storage nightly; assist in strike at close of run to return all box office equipment and supplies back to the theater
- Ensure the appearance and functionality of the box office workspace by keeping it in a clean, organized condition
- Collaborate with front-of-house and stage management staff, volunteer ushers, bartenders, and interns to ensure the comfort and safety of patrons at our venues
- Other duties as assigned
- Participate in staff meetings, performance evaluations, and annual program planning
- Share responsibility in ensuring that an anti-racist, multicultural organizational perspective as well as the mission and vision of the Company are reflected in all areas of its work
Please note: While there are many qualifications listed, if you have interest and many but not all of these skills, please do not hesitate to apply. Where qualifications are described in terms of formal education or training, prior experience in a relevant field may be considered.
- High school diploma; college degree preferred
- Two years of box office, theater, and/or nonprofit experience. Will consider retail experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams)
- Familiarity with ticketing systems (PatronManager a plus), email marketing systems (MailChimp a plus), and POS systems (Square a plus)
- Commitment to friendly, patient, and efficient customer service
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Dedication to incorporating racial equity into work
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Sense of humor
- This is an on-site position, requiring in-person presence at the Chesapeake Shakespeare Company box office in Downtown Baltimore and, during the summer, at outdoor performance in Ellicott City. Reliable transportation is necessary.
- The Box Office Assistant must be available for both regular weekday box office hours and evening/weekend performance shifts.
Compensation and Benefits
- Starting salary of $13.50–$15.00/hour, depending on experience
- Paid short- and long-term disability insurance
- Parking stipend
- Generous paid time off, including two weeks of flexible paid leave, paid holidays, plus paid leave the final week (Christmas through New Year’s Day) of each year
Submit resume AND cover letter discussing background, qualifications, and interest in the position to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Chesapeake Shakespeare Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information about CSC, please visit our website at https://www.chesapeakeshakespeare.com.