The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra seeks an Audience Development and Sales Manager.
The Audience Development and Sales Manager oversees group sales and special ticket programs at the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, spanning all product lines and all markets, including the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore City and the BSO’s second home, The Music Center at Strathmore, in North Bethesda. A collaborative team player and a member of the cross-departmental Patron Strategies team, this position will execute tactics to generate high levels of audience satisfaction, expand audience development and enrichment activities, and grow revenue in key areas.
Specific areas of focus will include implementing a group sales program, managing special concert related promotional activities, and working with marketing, advancement, artistic, and operations staff to curate authentic and stimulating concert experiences around BSO Passport, Student Select, and additional discount ticket programs that engage and retain new audiences. This position will be measured by timely execution and campaign results that successfully grow ticket sales.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and expand the BSO’s group sales program:
- Identify the right program, date, and price point for a group through consultative conversation with the group leader.
- Create, maintain, and finalize group sales orders in Tessitura.
- Plan all administrative communications with the group leader regarding invoicing, payment, etc.
- Determine what additional BSO products would enhance the group’s experience and group’s itinerary.
- Communicate and troubleshoot day-of plans cross-departmentally in advance of group arrivals to ensure smoothly scheduled matrices.
- Assist front-of-house with large group arrivals when needed. Maintain a respectful relationship with all front-of-house staff.
- Coordinate all aspects of group enhancements and events including: Musical Mentors, pre- or post-concert cocktail hours, Q&As, meet and greets and hall tours.
- Develop marketing and communication materials to keep group leaders, key audience segments, and new audiences engaged with the BSO.
- Communicate with local attractions, hotels, and restaurants to build itineraries and promotions for out-of-market prospects.
- Manage special promotional activities, grassroots efforts, and ticket programs that drive audience development and patron retention goals:
- Develop and implement a plan to engage new audiences through special ticket programs with specific repertoire or guest artists.
- Spearhead grassroots efforts at both the Meyerhoff and Strathmore to further attract new audiences through special ticket programs.
- Create special events designed to grow new and key audience segments both on and offsite.
- In coordination with the Senior Director of Marketing, set and regularly report on sales and budget progress:
- All Key Audience Segments
- In coordination with the Senior Director of Marketing, set annual group sales and patron retention goals for the institution and monitor progress against goals.
- Manage special promotional activities and programs that drive audience development and patron retention goals including BSO Passport, BSO Student Select and College Nights, and Kids Listen Free.
- Consistently monitor and track the portion of the Marketing budget expenses related to group sales and special ticket programs.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business, or a related field.
- A minimum of three (3) to four (4) years of general marketing and sales experience, arts marketing experience preferred.
- Proven track record in sales, with annual growth in key areas of focus
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of advertising and marketing disciplines including marketing systems, ticketing and subscription-based sales.
- Demonstrated superior organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrate creativity, an innovative spirit, initiative, strong problem resolution, and be able to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft programs, including but not limited to Excel, Outlook and Word. Ability to learn other software programs as needed. Familiarity with Tessitura ticketing software or other types of customer databases is a plus.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present effectively internally and externally and an ability to proofread for grammar, spelling and punctuation with a high degree of accuracy.
- Schedule flexibility and willingness to work some nights and weekends for concert duty as needed.
- Direct experience with a symphony orchestra and/or performing arts presenter highly preferred. A passion for and working knowledge of classical music preferred.
ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND ON THE BSO
For over a century, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) has been recognized as one of America’s leading orchestras and one of Maryland’s most significant cultural institutions. The orchestra is internationally renowned and locally admired for its innovation, performances, recordings, and educational outreach initiatives including OrchKids.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra performs annually for more than 275,000 people throughout the State of Maryland. Since 1982, the BSO has performed at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore, and since 2005, with the opening of The Music Center at Strathmore in North Bethesda, MD, the BSO became the nation’s first orchestra performing its full season of classical and pops concerts in two metropolitan areas. More recently, 2020 marked the beginning of a new era of artistry, innovation, stability, and digital accessibility, including the launch of the virtual platform BSO OffStage and a groundbreaking docu-concert series BSO Sessions.
More information about the BSO can be found at BSOmusic.org.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to by November 26, 2021 to: [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Relocation assistance is not provided.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.