The Maryland Center for History and Culture (MCHC) seeks an enthusiastic team member to join our Finance Department as the Staff Accountant. MCHC is a venerable community not-for-profit museum, library, and educational institution with about $5M of annual revenue and about $35M of net assets. Reporting to the CFO, this position currently oversees one Finance & Accounting Specialist and is responsible for working with leadership staff on departmental budgeting, revenue and expenses. This position will also have some human resources responsibilities. This position will also support the annual audit and Form 990 preparation by SC&H.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily monitoring of institutional cash flow, bank reconciliations and recording of all bank activity in the MIP fund accounting general ledger system;
- Review of all general entries made by the Specialist, manage their time spent on daily responsibilities and both long and short term projects, provide guidance and insight into any departmental issues that arise, and continually find ways to improve financial reporting and streamline existing processes;
- Works in coordination with the Advancement Department to record pledged and received gifts, as well as provide documentation and completed grant reports for securing gifts and grants.
- Provides financial reporting for other departments as needed;
- Manage the annual audit both by providing the auditors with necessary supporting documentation as well as various reconciliations, adjusting entries, taking recommendations regarding best practices, and coordination of timing;
- Facilitate quarterly departmental budget meetings;
- Assist the CFO with reporting, reconciliations, or general support as needed;
- Coordinate Finance Committee administration and materials.
- Complete monthly analysis and reconciliation of the general ledger to identify and resolve issues on a regular basis
Qualifications and Requirements;
- 5+ years of experience working in a related field
- Excellent organization and administrative skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Experience working in Accounting software
This is a full time, salaried position with benefits. The salary range is $48-53K.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, and resume with contacts of three professional references to [email protected]. Subject line: Staff Accountant. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the American experience through the rich history of Maryland using their collections and to preserve important objects and archival materials from prehistoric Maryland to the present day.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture collects, preserves, and interprets the history, art, and culture of Maryland. By exploring multiple perspectives and sharing national stories through the lens of Maryland, MCHC inspires critical thinking, creativity, and community. Learn more at mdhistory.org.
$40,000 - $50,000 $50,000 - $60,000
Maryland Center for History and Culture
Job Submission Requirements:
Please email a cover letter, and resume with contacts of three professional references to [email protected]
. Subject line: Staff Accountant. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.
Health, Dental, Vision with an HSA. Free Life & LTD. Retirement plan with 5% matching after 1 year of employment