The Maryland Center for History and Culture (MCHC) seeks a dynamic team member to join our vibrant Museum Department as the Associate Registrar. Reporting to the Director of Collections, this position will implement collection management policies and procedures as defined by the Vice President of Collections & Interpretation and Director of Collections. Our new team member will not only help with registration practices but also be a key member in major campaign and collection initiatives including a large-scale collection inventory and move.
- Implement registrarial policies and procedures for objects coming into and out of the Museum, including:
- Gift offers and purchases;
- Incoming and outgoing loans;
- Accessions and deaccessions;
- Temporary Custody receipts;
- Condition reports.
- Use the collection management system (CMS), Past Perfect, to:
- Track collection moves;
- Catalog new objects;
- Implement collection inventories;
- Manage loans for Museum and Library.
- Execute tax documents and appraisals for gift offers;
- Add metadata to digital objects for review;
- Assist with imaging services and patron requests;
- Art handling.
- BA in Museum Studies or related field;
- 2+ years of experience in museum registration;
- Experience performing collection inventories;
- Excellent communication skills and knowledge of best practices for collections care;
- Strong knowledge of museum registration methods and AAM’s Code of Ethics;
- Working knowledge of Past Perfect preferred;
- Experience in a large-scale collection move preferred;
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
About the Position
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits with occasional evening and weekend hours. The salary range is $37,000-42,000 annually. The final salary will be determined based on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume with contacts of three professional supervisory references to [email protected] by July 10, 2022. Subject line: Associate Registrar. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the American experience through the rich history of Maryland using their collections and to preserve important objects and archival materials from prehistoric Maryland to the present day. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by law and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture collects, preserves, and interprets the history, art, and culture of Maryland. By exploring multiple perspectives and sharing national stories through the lens of Maryland, MCHC inspires critical thinking, creativity, and community. Learn more at mdhistory.org.