Staff Attorney (Full Time, Grant Funded)
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (MdVLA) is seeking a conscientious individual with a commitment to public interest lawyering to join us as a full-time, grant-funded Staff Attorney. The Staff Attorney will be responsible for executing our range of Pro Bono Legal Services programs, including our Pro Bono Referral and In-House Representation Programs, Art Law Clinic Program, as well as mentoring MdVLA volunteers. The Staff Attorney is expected to develop an expertise in legal issues pertinent to the success of creative entrepreneurs and small businesses, including corporate law and intellectual property. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced, sometimes varying work environment, enjoys working directly with clients, and is a cooperative, reliable team-player and self-starter. Applicants should be passionate about advocating for the rights of creative entrepreneurs.
The Staff Attorney role is funded by a grant from the City of Baltimore and is not a guaranteed position after the completion of the grant. The position runs for two years after the start date.
- Manage a small in-house caseload of art law/small business cases
- Provide direct legal services to eligible artists and arts organizations through MdVLA’s Art Law Clinic Program
- Lead legal content creation for MdVLA’s series of free legal resource guides on small business law issues and bespoke professional development workshops
- Assist with recruitment, training, mentoring, and support of MdVLA volunteer attorneys
- Collaborate with partner organizations, local law schools, and other legal services and community organizations to increase awareness of and access to MdVLA’s services
- Participate in advocacy, stakeholder, and coalition meetings as well as other collaborative groups to increase the visibility of MdVLA’s services
The duties will require work on some nights and weekends.
- Have admission to the Bar in the state of Maryland (or be awaiting pending bar results)
- Have a demonstrated interest in legal, business, and/or entrepreneurial issues related to artists and creative small businesses, including corporate law and intellectual property
- Have a passion for interacting with and participating in different creative communities
- Be a detail oriented, self-starting, multi-tasker
- Be comfortable communicating in-person, over the phone and over email with people from radically different backgrounds in an empathetic and pragmatic way, including artists, lawyers, and other members of the community
- Experience with data collection and grant compliance
- Have a familiarity with G Suite, Canva, and Salesforce or open to learning new administrative applications
- Be interested in assisting with MdVLA’s continued development of systems for equity, inclusion, and diversity within the organization
- Be willing to work at an organization that continually strives to learn, improve, and grow
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
Founded in 1985, MdVLA has diligently supported artists and arts organizations for thirty-eight years. Such support has included art law clinics, pro bono referrals, professional development opportunities, consultation and in-house representation, art law educational materials, impact litigation, and arts advocacy. By offering pro bono legal services to income-qualified artists, education to the general public, and advocacy, MdVLA has positioned itself as a nonprofit that promotes volunteerism for positive change, builds community throughout Maryland’s creative sector, and protects artists' legal rights.
If you would like to learn more about MdVLA, please visit our website and watch our video.
$70,000 - $80,000
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
Job Submission Requirements:
The position was posted on September 11, 2023. MdVLA will review applications on a rolling basis and remove the posting from mdvla.org once filled. If you are interested in applying for the role, please send a copy of your resume, three professional references, a short legal writing sample (no more than ten pages), and a cover letter to email@example.com. Please use the subject line: “MdVLA Staff Attorney.”
Salary is $80,000. Benefits include a health care insurance plan, simple IRA with 3% company match, generous PTO, hybrid in-person/remote work, and a 4-day work week (32-hour work week)