Communications and Social Media Internship
The Communications and Social Media Intern will support the Maryland Center for History and Culture’s social media outreach efforts, and other related communications tasks, within the Communications and Marketing Department. The intern will gain experience working in a nonprofit setting and sustaining a social media audience to support the Museum, Library, education programs, and public events at MCHC— the oldest continuously operating cultural institution in Maryland.
Other details about this position:
- This internship will be hybrid, with at least five hours onsite.
- Duration of internship: Fall/Winter 2023
- Time commitment: 10 hours a week
The Communications and Social Media Intern will:
- Research, write, edit, schedule, and post to MCHC’s social media platforms and execute social media strategies and best practices to increase MCHC’s effectiveness in the digital arena;
- Monitor social media accounts and key word feeds for post/response opportunities;
- Assist with graphic design for social media, following brand guide;
- Help write content and compile images for MCHC’s monthly e-newsletter;
- Monitor local events, news, and history in the making for potential social content;
- Update the press list and maintain the press clip files;
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelors or Associates degree or working toward a degree in art, advertising, communications, digital media, marketing, journalism, public relations, English, or a related field;
- Enthusiastic about social media. Comfortable using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Graphic design/art experience/education preferred;
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact checking;
- Prior communications, marketing, and writing experience, a plus;
- Professional demeanor and good organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes;
- Ability to ask for help and accept supervision and evaluation of work;
- Ability to work in a hybrid setting.
- Stipend up to $1,500 for 15 weeks (150 hours) of work.
- Complimentary MCHC membership, including free library and museum admission.
- Opportunities to strengthen resume and portfolio.
Time Commitment: 10 hours a week
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and either a design or writing sample, subject line Communications & Social Media Intern to [email protected]. No phone calls please.
Deadline: Ongoing until filled