Gallery Operations Specialist
Open Position at UMBC's Center for Art, Design and Visual Culture
Job no: 494323
Work type: Staff Full-time
Location: UMBC Campus
Department: Center for Art, Design and Visual Culture https://cadvc.umbc.edu/
Position Overview: The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) is seeking a Gallery Operations Specialist for the Center for Art, Design, and Visual Culture (CADVC). Reporting to the Director and working closely with Center staff, students, and University colleagues in Business Administration, the incumbent will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating the day-to-day business, facilities, and procedural operations of the CADVC.
Why Work at UMBC? UMBC offers competitive compensation. This role starts at $60,000 and has over 4 weeks of vacation for regular full time roles. Tuition remission is also available.
What is it like to work at UMBC? Check out Glassdoor or Indeed. And read about our recent award, UMBC is a "2023 Great College to Work for" in every category.
Telework: A hybrid telework schedule may be available.
Responsibilities: The Gallery Operations Specialist is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the day-to-day business, facilities, and procedural operations of the CADVC, including overseeing facility administration, coordinating endowments and special projects, administering the unit with comprehensive knowledge of institutional and unit policies, procedures, and special issues, coordinating personnel requirements, providing administrative and financial management, coordinating and implementing business relationships with partners including specialists in the fields of art and cultural production, and managing and coordinating all program financial transactions including sales.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Knowing and administering unit policies and coordinate facility-related administration.
- Coordinating endowments and special projects.
- Coordinating personnel requirements for the CADVC.
- Coordinating and implementing business relationships with partners and outside vendors, including specialists in fields of art and cultural production (artists, art handlers, etc.).
- Overseeing and coordinating all transactions related to the Traveling Exhibitions program, Publications series Issues in Cultural Theory, and Community Outreach/Public Program initiatives.
- Providing administrative and financial management analysis to the Executive Director monthly.
- Working closely in transparent and frequent communication with appropriate parties in the Dean's office, financial and advancement offices, and with other key internal partners to facilitate clear collaborative budgeting, planning, and overall organizational operations management. This includes being the CADVC HR & payroll Liaison point of contact with CAHSS Shared Services, serving as time sheet approver, staff contracting, administering PageUp, and coordinating grant management with CARAT.
- Scheduling travel for staff, visiting artists, curators, and other partners.
- Producing itineraries, run-of-show documents, and other organizational materials.
- Assisting Director with general administrative needs, including routine meeting notations, scheduling/calendar assistance, and overseeing certain CADVC interoffice requests including catering, workforce, and facilities requests related to office operations.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Some evening and weekend hours will be required for the position.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree, or the equivalent four years of comparable experience.
- Three years of financial management within the context of an arts administration or business administration experience; familiarity with institutional policy and procedures or demonstrated ability to learn and implement institutional procedures.
- Experience with the following or comparable experience and demonstrated ability to learn: accounting and accounting principles, PeopleSoft (finance, special funds, human resources), Excel, management of budgets, operational grant and foundation accounts, and endowments.
- Bachelors Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Management, Arts Administration. Arts- related education would be preferred.
- Five years of university or museum/gallery, and/or cultural administration experience; experience with arts and culture-related organizational procedures and management. Management and supervisory skills are preferred.
- Accounting experience preferred.
- Budget management experience strongly preferred.
Background Screening Statement: A background check will be required.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Upload a cover letter and a resume.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Benefits: UMBC offers a rich benefits package. Regular and grant funded regular positions (Full benefits summary click here):
Generous Leave which includes accruing:
- 22 Days of Annual Leave
- 15 Days of Sick Leave
- 15 Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 8 credit hours per semester
- Tuition remission at UMBC for eligible dependents after two years of FT employment
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement plans (including the choice of joining the pension plan)
- Professional development opportunities
- Wellness opportunities
- & Much more
- Contingent II positions may include some benefits.
- Benefits offered align with type (Regular, Contingent II, etc.) of position.
Salary: Salary starts at $60,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Hours: Full time; Some evening and weekend hours will be required for the position.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Equal Opportunity Statement: UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Title IX: As an institution that receives federal financial assistance, UMBC adheres to Title IX and does not discriminate on the basis of sex. For more information about Title IX and contact information for Title IX Coordinator click here.
Accommodation: If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Work Authorization: As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Advertised: Oct 4 2023 09:00 Eastern Daylight Time