Port Discovery Children’s Museum, one of the top Children’s Museum in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, is seeking an experienced and driven individual to join our Sales team as our Events Manager. The Museum provides experiences that ignite imagination, inspire learning, and nurture growth through play.
Summary of the Job:
The Events Manager reports to our Sales Director, with a special focus on providing amazing experiences for visitors to Museum sponsored events and facility rentals, to produce unrestricted revenue for the Museum. The manager will develop, plan, coordinate, and execute the event programs, which include facility rentals, overnights, birthday parties, adult events, as well as identifying additional revenue stream opportunities. This role demands a strategic thinker with outstanding communication and organizational skills, and a passion for crafting unforgettable experiences for our visitors.
This is a full time 40-hour per week position, with a Monday to Friday schedule. However, this position will serve as the On-site Manager for various events throughout the year, therefore, an ability to work weekends and evenings will be necessary.
The salary range for this position is $55k to $58k, based on experience.
- Develop and implement marketing plans in collaboration with Marketing and Sales departments to exceed revenue goals.
- Create innovative and engaging event concepts to enhance visitor experiences and generate revenue.
- Actively market the museum's services to corporate, convention, business, and special markets, both locally and regionally.
- Collaborate with the Learning & Visitor Experience department for special event programming.
- Manage communication regarding inquiry requests, booking details, contracts, and event information.
- Record and manage booking and payment information in the sales management system.
- Coordinate with Accounting for accurate tracking of event-related fees and invoicing.
- Monitor customer feedback, implement adjustments, and communicate concerns to relevant departments.
- Accurately report event revenue and expenses.
- Represent the museum at community events to enhance visibility and attract event bookings.
- Oversee all aspects of event coordination, including planning, scheduling, and execution.
- Maintain event supply inventory.
- Act as the primary liaison among internal departments for event-related matters, including Exhibits & Facilities, Housekeeping, and Learning & Visitor Experience departments, to ensure a positive and supportive relationship.
- Serve as Onsite Manager for various events, including but not limited to facility rentals and scout programs.
- Perform other duties as needed to support the museum's mission and goals.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in event management.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in sales and event management required.
- Exceptional communication skills and proficiency in organizational and time management.
- Creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Professional demeanor with a keen eye for detail.
- Ability to manage and organize a high volume of inquiries via email and phone.
- Ability to work effectively both in a team and independently.
- Self-motivated, energetic, and capable of thriving in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams).
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation for off-site events and meetings.
- Must be willing to work during weekends, evenings, and holidays as required.
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
- Group medical, dental and / or vision insurance options
- Vacation, personal and sick leave
- Retirement savings with Museum match after 6 months
- Museum provided life and disability insurance, as well as EAP, travel assistance and grief counseling support
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Frequent sitting and sedentary office work, for administrative, phone, and sales duties.
- Frequent standing & walking when working as the on-site manager for events.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 lbs.
- Occasional local travel may be required for off-site meetings and trade/scout events, in and around Baltimore City and the State of Maryland.
- Must be comfortable working around large crowds.
- Evening, weekend and some holiday work will be required.
Send us your resume and cover letter, and let’s start this journey together!
To learn more about Port Discovery Children’s Museum, visit https://www.portdiscovery.org/. Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.