After 14 years our founding Executive Director is stepping down from his leadership position in the company. We are looking for our next PART-TIME Executive Director to inherit the leadership of this small but mighty nonprofit org that supports our huge community theater productions.
Baltimore Rock Opera Society was founded in 2009 by a group of friends who got together to write, compose and produce the heavy-metal, medieval, fantasy musical of their dreams. This show was called Gründlehämmer, and along the way BROS recruited more than one hundred actors, composers, musicians, technicians, craftspersons, illustrators, artists, costumers and excited community artists to support their cause. BROS still exists off this same energy today. We create 100% original musicals that are pitched by our community members and given full production support by a capable and skilled group of paid staff members and volunteers from every demographic and every level of ability and experience. We enable massive visions to come to life in a process that is truly community-driven. We create spectacles that are wildly entertaining, at turns both heartwarmingly amateur and surprisingly high-end at the same time. This community of weirdos could only exist in Baltimore and our track record of more than 13 completely original full-length productions, and numerous short films, puppetry performances, one-off concerts, and festival appearances have built a strong legacy that makes BROS the largest collaborative artistic group in the Maryland region.
In replacing our founding Executive Director (ED)we have decided to restructure other parts of the company around the new ED role. We have elevated our Production Director to become the leader of all BROS production, they will be supported by a full production team that will be staffed for each show. The Production Director also supervises a Volunteer director and Partnerships/Outreach Director who help to recruit talent and manage the people involved in the shows.
The ED will will inherit a robustly organized nonprofit with a strong base of funders and donors, a consistently balanced budget and an integrated CRM and ticketing system. BROS uses technology to great advantage using modern cloud-based solutions for communications, accounting and remote meetings.
Who should apply:
We seek a dynamic individual who can represent BROS to funders, manage an experienced staff, and help lead the company to further artistic glory through careful management of our existing resources. A smart leader can take the successes of BROS first 14 years and continue to incrementally grow the company towards long-term stability and future growth.
The Board of Directors of the Baltimore Rock Opera Society (BROS) seeks highly motivated and passionate advocate of the arts, theatre development and programming. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall operations, financial management and fundraising efforts of the organization. The Executive Director will manage external relationships with the community and be the face of the Baltimore Rock Opera Society. They will manage a staff to include business development, operations, volunteers, marketing, finance development and production
General roles and responsibilities are as follows:
Strategic Planning and Community Engagement
- Develop and enhance relationships with BROS constituents.
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of programming including shows, events, fundraisers, and collaborations. Feed the artistic council with a steady diet of ideas and connections to great artists.
- Represent and lead BROS toward cultivating and expanding relationships with corporate, community, government and institutional partners to carry out the BROS mission.
- Create the organization’s strategic plan and operational budget.
- Build organizational capacity through professional development opportunities that enhance and attract/retain volunteer artists.
Advocacy and Leadership
- Maintain political awareness of arts-related matters at local and state levels and provide a regional/statewide representation for BROS presence.
- Promote a positive public image of BROS using all available communications media and publicize BROS programming.
- Serve as the face of the organization, representing the organization at meetings, conventions, and public forums in the business, philanthropic, and civic sectors.
- Empower the Board of Directors with knowledge and information that energizes their advocacy efforts, as appropriate.
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and operational systems with recommended timelines and resources needed to achieve the goals as outlined by BROS Board of Directors.
- Oversee the decisions of the BROS Artistic Council, production and programming.
- Actively engage and energize staff, volunteers, board members, event committees, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Manage the BROS staff and the lead hiring decisions and org chart management.
Fiscal Oversight and Administration
- Track the annual and future operating budgets; present operating results, analysis and administrative reports.
- Lead organization fundraising activities including annual and major gift development, donor relations, special events and new funding sources for current and long-term financial stability and revenue growth.
- Develop necessary policy or policy changes for Board approval and be responsible for implementing such policies.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws in creating and governing an independent nonprofit organization.
Demonstrated education and/or successful professional experience to indicate:
- Passionate arts advocate.
- A natural propensity toward strategically developing and growing an organization (versus sustaining), with a demonstrated track record of growth.
- Strong communication skills- speaking, writing, listening and responding.
- Demonstrated and proven track record of leadership that effectively builds consensus among complex and diverse private and public stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success in non-profit fundraising or corporate development.
- Ability to develop, articulate and implement a vision.
- Experience in developing, maintaining and presenting organizational and financial reports
- Creative thinker with the ability to search out solutions, present and facilitate effective resolutions.
- Ability to effective engage a diversity of interests, cultures, people and businesses; able to effectively manage competing internal and external interests.
Working at BROS
- Highly flexible weekly schedule consists of a few regular meetings (mostly remote) with other team members and occasional in-person meetings at BROS Headquarters (3304 Greenmount Ave, Baltimore, MD 21218)
- Many meetings, rehearsals and production tasks will take place in early evening time slots (between 6pm and 9pm) since some BROS employees and many of our volunteers work other daytime jobs.
- Solo work can be done remotely or at the office as preferred.
- An environment highly supportive of creative expression and full of unique and wonderful artists – an environment that must be cultivated and maintained by the Executive Director.
- As decreed by the Dragon King, gives the full force of their powers to complete their duties, bringing forth the 7,000 year mission of BROS to unite hearts and minds across the galaxy with face-melting works of visionary live performance.
Position, Salary and Benefits
This is a part-time position, with a salary of $19,000, reporting directly to and serving at the pleasure of the Board of Directors. Salary is negotiable and will be dependent on experience and qualifications. The organization seeks to hire the most qualified person, regardless of that individual’s race, gender, religion, national origin, age, handicap, or sexual orientation.
It is important that your application package demonstrate all relevant education, training, experience, knowledge, abilities and skills you possess that qualify you for this position. Please submit a cover letter addressing your qualifications, a resume of past employment history and at least three professional references to: [email protected].
We expect candidates to do some learning on the job. If you don't have every single qualification but are excited to do this work please apply!
BROS Org Chart
A Message from our founding Executive Director
Sample Communications: Volunteer Newsletter, February 1st, 2024
Sample Communications: Volunteer Newsletter, January 18th, 2024
Sample Communications: Volunteer Newsletter, October 19th, 2023