Department of Commerce Secretary Gill is recruiting for a dynamic, creative individual to lead the quality of life program portfolio for the State of Maryland. The position is responsible for directing the operations of the agency’s Tourism, Film and the Arts business unit (DTFA). It includes the three offices of tourism development, film and the Maryland State Arts Council.
Tourism, film and the arts generate thousands of jobs in Maryland, and just as significantly, contribute to the general economic competitiveness of the State. The position reports to the Secretary of Commerce.
· Set and adjust the standards and policies for investment in tourism, film and the arts through constant direct interaction with public and private industry representatives, research and performance monitoring.
· Direct the branding and marketing of Maryland to resident and non-resident consumers of tourism, film and the arts for maximum competitive advantage and benefit to Marylanders.
· Direct, motivate and support the Boards and staffs of the three principal units, as well as DTFA-supported arts councils and tourism marketing entities in every county.
· Lead legislative and budgeting efforts and initiatives for DTFA, in coordination with allied private sector industry advocates.
Attributes and experience sought:
· Demonstrated innovation in the creative economy; strong understanding of tourism, film and the arts as managed consumer-focused businesses.
· Keen instincts and demonstrated sound judgment in evaluating and managing the demands and expectations of a wide variety of interests.
· Ability to recognize how immediate opportunities can be used to advance long term goals.
· Demonstrated success in managing and motivating a staff of 50+ creative, mission-driven professionals.
· Knowledge and experience of public sector legislative and budgeting processes is a plus.
· Minimum 10 years directly relevant experience.
Salary is in the $130,000-140,000 range, accompanied by an excellent benefits package.
Submit cover letter and resume to Julia Cora at [email protected], 410 767-6307.
Position open until filled.