A new partnership between two music education entities Baltimore Talent Education Center and the Bridges Program of MAESTRO Ensembles is in need of an Education Coordinator to manage teachers, students and school coordinators at several locations for after-school programming throughout the City. Both entities have decades of experience reaching students for studies in string instruments; we seek a dynamic, engaged coordinator to increase the effectiveness of our programs for K-12 students for goals set individually and by school. Reporting to the Executive Director, and in collaboration with the Board, the Education Coordinator is integral to the success of the new partnership.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in music education (preferably strings) and must be highly organized, able to work with a diverse group of people (students, parents, teachers, site staff, etc.), and be comfortable with technology. The hours will be primarily mid-afternoon to early evening during the week and Sunday afternoons during the school year with more flexible hours in the summer months, keeping in mind there may be summer sessions of classes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- With supervision by the Executive Director, will have primary responsibility for recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and supervising teaching staff.
- Plan and direct all teachers’ meetings.
- Observe classes and provide feedback and reviews.
- Plan all general curriculum, including the selection of music and planning for orchestra rehearsals and performances. H/she may direct Sunday and/or an on-site orchestra.
- Coordinate outreach efforts for registration, performances and other activities to elicit participation of community resources.
- In concert with Board and Executive Director, expand online aspects of communication: website, email blasts.
- Organize all student recruiting, maintain all student databases and have responsibility for general communication with families via e-mail and social media.
- Maintain instrument inventory: instruments transport to and from sites as needed, handling minor repairs, and coordinating with repair person as needed for major repairs.
Skills and Abilities
- Passion for the goal to increase access in excellence-based music instruction for students in Baltimore City.
- Ability to work successfully with diversity of several schools, students, and families.
- Background in music, to include studies on string instrument(s), composition, education.
- Self-motivated with entrepreneurial outlook.
- Minimum of Bachelors’s degree required.
Hours & Compensation
- This is a part-time position, up to 25 hours/week. Hours can be variable, but generally fall during the after-school hours, 3PM-7PM.
- Due to the varying nature of the schedule, the time required is variable. Most of the time, BTEC/Bridges can be quite flexible as to when the work is done, as long as deadlines are met.
- Pay is commensurate with experience.