The Baltimore Heritage Area Association serves as the management entity for the Baltimore National Heritage Area (BNHA). The heritage area is both federally designated as a heritage area as well as certified by the State of Maryland. Grants administration is a key aspect of the heritage area. The heritage area administers a local (City of Baltimore) small capital grant program, serves as a coordinating partner for the state’s Maryland Heritage Areas Authority Project Grants, and receives a significant amount of funding through grants as well for heritage area programs and operations. During the summer of 2014 the heritage area will also be unveiling a new grant program made possible by our federal funding as a designated national heritage area.
The heritage area seeks an individual with financial acumen and strong organizational abilities to help manage the small cap grants program, provide critical assistance with BNHA’s role with the MHAA project grants, develop and manage the new federal grant program, and assist the Executive Director with the management of incoming grants. The individual will have robust collaboration and problem-solving skills and knowledge of operational best practices for grant administration.
The duties of BNHA’s part-time grants administrator include the following:
- Serving as BNHA’s representative and primary point of contact regarding grant policies, procedures, requirements and revisions for the small cap grant program, the MHAA project grants, and the new federal grant program.
- Conducts informational meetings with grantees and potential grantees.
- Promotes new grant cycle information via BNHA social media and online platforms
- Works closely with heritage area staff to contact grant applicants regarding requested changes to their applications.
- Assists other heritage area staff with answering questions that potential applicants have during the application process as well as questions after grants are awarded
- Managing incoming grant applications including reviews for eligibility and completeness and preparation for committee review
- Coordinating preparation of grant agreements for new awards for the small cap grants program and the federal grant program
- Maintaining BNHA’s small cap grant and federal grant award records and monitoring status of awarded grants.
- Confers with grantees regarding accountability for fund expenditures, recommends adjustment and / or corrections when necessary.
- Coordinates with the Executive Director on the verification of grant disbursement requests.
- Reviews appropriate grant reports and verifies completeness of grant projects.
- Maintaining BNHA’s record-keeping for incoming grants. Assist the Executive Director with the following:
- Maintaining grant files.
- Monitoring deadlines for grant reports and assistance with completing required reports.
- Producing extension requests when needed.
- Monitoring the timing of disbursement requests.
- Other grant-related administrative duties as assigned
Qualifications and Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s degree
- A background and/or interest in history and culture is desirable
- Extensive computer skills- familiarity with databases
- Proficient in Microsoft programs, including but not limited to Excel, Outlook, and Word
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving skills, and attention to detail
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a part-time position requiring approximately two days a week, eight hours a day. The hourly rate is $25/hour. Since this is a part-time position, benefits are not included. Arrangements can be made for parking downtown.