The Baltimore Museum of Art (BMA) is seeking an experienced Publications Manager/Editor responsible for ensuring the quality, accuracy, and timeliness of the Museum’s written communications. This position oversees the production of exhibition catalogues and other special publications, and writes, edits, and/or copyedits curatorial, educational, marketing, and development content that appears in the gallery, online, and in print. The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented professional with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to manage projects that involve people at all levels of the organization.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Acting as a key player in developing the BMA’s institutional voice and evaluating the nature and number of printed materials generated by the Museum.
- Developing and implementing Museum style guides for all printed and electronic publications, adhering to the BMA’s brand identity.
- Working closely with the Curatorial, Education, Exhibitions, and Marketing & Communications departments to ensure editorial quality and strict adherence to Museum-wide style guides.
- Editing and/or proofreading exhibition- and collection-related publications, gallery didactics, press releases, and other printed matters, as well as online content.
- Working with designers to ensure that all publications are consistent with the visual identity and quality standards of the institution.
- Establishing and monitoring deadlines for gallery didactics and publishing projects.
- Serving as primary liaison with outside parties for publication projects, authoring and enforcing production schedules, and drafting agreements with authors, contributors, and publishers.
- Managing production and routing schedules for key texts within the institution.
- Adapting written content for multiple platforms.
This full-time, exempt position reports to the Senior Director of Communication & Marketing
Baltimore Museum of Art
Job Submission Requirements:
• Positive attitude and an ability to represent the Museum internally and externally
• Bachelor’s Degree or professional experience equivalent
• General knowledge of art and art history
• 3-5 years editing/publications management experience, preferably in a museum environment
• Excellent command of style, spelling, grammar, and punctuation and Chicago Manual of Style
• Fluency with Microsoft Office programs; familiarity with HTML and website content management systems.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a customer-service based approach and a proven ability to manage multiple priorities
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
The BMA is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. For this exempt position we offer medical, dental, vision, prescription, 403b retirement plan, long term disability, flexible spending account, flexible and condensed scheduling, museum and restaurant discounts, and reduced fee gym membership. We also offer accrued vacation, holidays, personal days, floating holidays, and sick days.
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to [email protected]
with “Publications Manager/Editor” your first and last name in the subject line.
Incomplete application materials will not be considered.
No phone calls please.