Part-time Temporary Gallery Interpreters
Education and Interpretation Division
The BMA is recruiting a team of empathetic, articulate, and enthusiastic individuals to serve as gallery interpreters in the Joseph Education Center. These part-time, temporary positions report to the Manager of Community Engagement. The position term runs from January 13, 2018 through June 30, 2018. The position compensation is $12 an hour for 6 hours per week—with an additional 2 hours of paid training per month—for a total of 26 hours per month. All training and work take place on Saturdays and Sundays.
The Joseph Education Center is a 6,000 square-foot space which includes an exhibition, Imagining Home, featuring 37 artworks from across the BMA collections; the Commons featuring an installation by a local artist engaged in participatory practice; and a classroom for creative production. The Imagining Home exhibition and the accompanying installation in the Commons invite visitors to explore ideas and visual expressions related to the theme of home.
- Greet and engage visitors, offering assistance, information, and conversational interpretation of the exhibitions
- Support a responsive and nurturing visitor experience in the Joseph Education Center, sensitive to the interest level and social boundaries of each guest
- Attend a mandatory paid 2-day training orientation on Saturday, January 13th and Sunday, January 14th, and subsequent 2-hour monthly trainings
- Commit to a 6-hour shift once/week for a 6-month commitment
- Develop activities and prompts for in-gallery dialogue and artmaking with guests surrounding the exhibitions
- Flexibility and a positive outlook
- High degree of emotional intelligence, ability to seamlessly connect with individuals from all walks of life
- Ability to quickly adapt and evolve with the needs of participants/ communities
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills
- Consistency and reliability
- Ability to access and use email in a timely fashion
- Experience with basic art-making activities a plus