The Baltimore Museum of Art seeks a full-time Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) responsible for the planning, management, and success of the comprehensive fundraising efforts of the Museum. The Chief Advancement Officer will join the BMA at a time of exciting transformation. As a member of the museum’s senior leadership team, s/he will oversee policy, strategy, and execution of the work in the Advancment department, which includes individual and planned giving, inidivdual and corporate membership,sponsorship, special events, foundation and government grants, board relations, and stewardship programs.
The Chief Advancement Officer will report to the Dorothy Wagner Wallis Director and will work closely with them and the Board Chair in aligning the fundraising efforts for the entire institution.
The CAO will lead the the seven-person advancement team and, in concert with that team, s/he will develop and implement overall strategy for fundraising and stewardship. S/he wil build and manage a portfolio of prospects and donors, including individuals, corporations, and foundations. The successful candidate will effectively manage a team of professionals, overseeing donor stewardship efforts, major gits, endowment relationships, planned giving, corporate and foundation giving, annual giving, and special campaigns. S/he will also be responsible for operation and administration of the advancement functions including personnel, budgeting, compliance, and related matters.
In addition to reaching and increasing annual fundraising goals, this role will be responsible for strategic objectives established as part of the museum’s recently completed strategic plan. These include overseeing a capital and endowment campaign to support upcoming renovations and to increase the operating endowment which is currently at $117 Million.
Baltimore Museum of Art
Chief Advancement Officer
Job Submission Requirements:
• Master’s Degree preferred, Musem Administration degree a plus.
• Significant leadership experience with a proven ability to communicate across a broad range of audiences, including superior written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated results creating a hightly stable and effective team through articulating clear goals and responsibilities and providing feedback and support.
• Ability to work collaboratively and be resourceful in a fast paced, complex environment, and in an atmosphere of continual growth and rapid change.
• Experience with financial forecasting and budgetary responsibilities.
• Demonstrated experience in management and strategic planning and the ability to work comfortably with senior leadership and board members.
• Ability to proactively offer strategic and tactical direction to the Director, senior staff, and the board.
• Minimum of 4-years management-level museum or comparable experience required.
• Minimum of 5-years applied advancement experience.
• Excellent written, verbal and listening communication skills.
• Strong staff management and mentoring skills.
• Collaborative by nature, flexible and helpful.
• Self-directed and motivated.
• Ability to create and successfully manage an annual budget.
The BMA is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. For this exempt position we offer medical, dental, vision, prescription, 403b retirement plan, long term disability, flexible spending account, flexible and condensed scheduling, museum and restaurant discounts, and reduced fee gym membership. We also offer accrued vacation, holidays, personal days, floating holidays, and sick days.
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to [email protected]
with “Chief Advancement Officer” your first and last name in the subject line.
Incomplete application materials will not be considered.
Position will be posted until filled.
No phone calls please.